Recuva is stuck at 34% for more than a hour

Frosty

Yesterday, i accidentally formatted my hard drive while installing Windows 10.

I had a lot of important files in that drive.

I have been trying to recover them by using Recuva, but due to some reason  it always get stuck at 34%.

It seems to do some work in background, but it has been like 2 hours without any progress. Estimated time went from 3 hours to 8 hours.

Please help me.

Thank you.

Capture.PNG

• Moderators

No, the filter applies only to the results of the scan, the scan will still take the same time as all sectors have to be scanned. You don't say what the capacity of your drive is, if it is huge then a deep scan will take some time. Eight hours is not particularly long.

It might be just me, but perhaps a backup of data before doing a system install would be circumspect.

13 minutes ago, Augeas said:

No, the filter applies only to the results of the scan, the scan will still take the same time as all sectors have to be scanned. You don't say what the capacity of your drive is, if it is huge then a deep scan will take some time. Eight hours is not particularly long.

It might be just me, but perhaps a backup of data before doing a system install would be circumspect.

I actually have 2 hard drives, i use 250 GB SSD drive for my windows. 

My another drive is 2 TB in size. I use this drive most of the time for saving my work, videos, etc. I was having internet connectivity issues since past 5 days, so my recent changes never got sync with my one drive.

I was going to install windows in my SSD, i usually format my drive before installing.

But, i accidentally cleaned my 2 TB drive.

I will never do a windows installation at late night ever again.

My drive had only 200-300 GB of data.

It is still stuck at 34% and its estimated time is 18 hours now.

How long it might take for my 2 TB drive, considering, it only had 200-300 GB of data?

Sorry, for not mentioning my hard drive capacity in my post.

Thank you, Augeas.

• Moderators

The entire disk is being read, not just the old lost data. Two tb is a large drive, about 500 million 4k clusters, each of which has to be read and analysed, and an internal results table built. Unfortunately 18 hours is not an unrealistic time, going from what others have posted.

1 hour ago, Augeas said:

The entire disk is being read, not just the old lost data. Two tb is a large drive, about 500 million 4k clusters, each of which has to be read and analysed, and an internal results table built. Unfortunately 18 hours is not an unrealistic time, going from what others have posted.

I hope that it gets done as soon as possible.

And, i hope that there is no power outrage here. I will keep my computer on till it is complete.

At least, now i know that Recuva is still doing its work.

Thank you.