CCleaner free updated himself and RestartManager in Windows Logs

majip

Hi

I use old version CCleaner 5.02 but yesterday he updated himself to 5.41. I never enable Auto Updating so why he downloaded and update himself?:angry:

Second.

Every time when I use CC ver.5.41 in the Application section of Windows Logs i have some events. The source is "RestartManager"  In the General section, the first one says:

"Starting session 1 ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎29T01:16:54.100585900Z. Event ID 10000"

and second :

"Ending session 1 started ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎29T01:16:54.100585900Z." - Event ID 10001"

Before when i use old ver. nothing like this occurred. Do you have similar events in Windows Logs? I use Windows 7 x64

No i don't have

When I turn this on the problem still occurs. And now i have Gatherer Error Event ID 3036

" You can not access the content source <iehistory://{S-1-5-21-3872894864-1727862362-4264205974-1000}/>.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details: The RPC server is unavailable (HRESULT : 0x800706ba) (0x800706ba)"

I installed CC 5.4 and the issue "RestartManager" is still present :(

It appears that Piriform has found a way to hack in to our computers and force an upgrade of CCleaner.  I had an older version with the better graphics that I vastly prefer on a few machines and now they all have the latest version.  Check for Updates was turned off on all these PC's since I hate the flat 'Metro' graphics and the older version of CCleaner worked just fine.  Luckily, I still have the old copy to be able to install the version I like, so I uninstalled the new one on all the machines, put back the older one, and then added a new Rule in Windows Firewall to block all Outbound communication with Piriform.  I highly doubt this cam in via Windows Update, which means that this company now thinks it's fine to hack into our computers and make unauthorized changes.  This is outrageous and unacceptable.

• Moderators

It's probably because of what happened last year with Piriform/CCleaner being hacked with that Floxif trojan being injected into CCleaner, as seen here. A forced upgrade to "protect", even though it was only v5.33 that had the infection.

• Moderators

Do you have Avast anti-virus?

It contains a 'Software Updater' that seems to have started updating CCleaner versions.

I've just looked into it for a similar thread here:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
16 hours ago, majip said:

I have Avast, but i never haven't installed Software Updater extension.

Why CCleaner 5.41 creates some events "RestartManager" in windows event viewer

Thanks for confirming you have Avast. (Those reporting this updating all seem to have have Avast so it's probably relevant).

The Software Updater isn't an extension that you install seperately, it's built in to the antivirus.

All Avast security products for home PCs let you update your software with a single click.

I still suspect that Avast have changed the priority for updating CCleaner in their Software Updater without telling users.
I would check the settings, or turn it off altogether.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/213/

Restart Manager is part of the Windows operating system, CCleaner is not creating it Windows is.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc948910(v=vs.85).aspx

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

With it auto-updating all of a sudden I'm wondering if Avast/Piriform found a vulnerability in older versions of CCleaner that were released prior v5.33. I don't know if that's the reason however it would make sense for them to push out a critical update.