my HDD was recognized as SSD in CCleaner

JadeLee

my Usb connected external space is clearly HDD but ccleaner recognized it as SSD so can't properly wipe it.

I found lots of same issue report on this board but most of them are not solved yet i guess.

unless you cannot recognized driver properly, you'd better to allow 3way wipe on ssd driver also.

• Moderators

g'day JadeLee and welcome to the forum.

Yes, as you have found, CC has a long running, known, and unresolved bug where it reports HDD's as SSD's and vice-versa.
There has been no public, official word regarding any sort of resolution, so don't hold your breathe on that front, or for a fix I guess.
It's obviously not even on Piriform's radar is all anyone can tell of the issue.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Yes I had this same problem with my internal laptop drive. Keeps seeing my HDD as an SSD. So I fell back to my older version of Ccleaner 5.28.6005. The older versions still

allow up to 35 passes, to overwrite data. I keep two versions of Ccleaner in separate folders. The older version 5.28 I use for full wipes. There are other products on the market

that will utilize full wipes, but they cost. Perhaps with the retail version of Ccleaner, full wipes are possible? The latest versions that are free, seem to be crippled.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, habaneroman6782 said:

Perhaps with the retail version of Ccleaner, full wipes are possible?

The Wipe Free Space/Drive Wiper functionality is the same in Free and Pro ("paid") versions. The official download page shown here lists what the differences are: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download