Need to run reg cleaner before main cleaner

mike21

• Moderators

Can you explain a bit more about this issue please?

What operating system do you run?

Where did you get CCleaner from?

What happens to make you think that you have to run the registry cleaner first?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I got it from ccleaner.com. System is Wiindows 10 Home latest 1709 upgrade. When I load CCleaner "Cleaner" top left, is highlighted but Analyise and Run Cleaner are greyed out. If I then run the registry cleaner and subsequently select Cleaner, both Analyise and Run Cleaner are blue and I can run the cleaner. This would not matter if I wanted to run both, but I do not want to run the registry cleaner. I have attached a screenshotCCleaner.thumb.JPG.20f82ecb1b3da82bfd96b0f9f6c60390.JPG

• Moderators

the delay in analyze button is the program scanning for apps.  Usually this delay is long if you've got a large winapp2.ini file.  Are you using a winapp2 or any ccleaner enhancing program?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks. I waited and the grey turned blue after 59 seconds. There is a winapp2.ini file in the CCleaner folder but it is only 786 kb. My main drive is an SSD and I have a fairly fast processor. The scan itself was quite quick. I will wait next time.

• Moderators

your winapp2.ini file may need to be 'trimmed'.
it may contain many entires you simply don't have installed on your PC.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, mike21 said:

There is a winapp2.ini file in the CCleaner folder but it is only 786 kb. My main drive is an SSD and I have a fairly fast processor.

That's a hefty sized winapp2.ini file and is the reason it's taking so long regardless of having modern hardware.

I have uninstalled the existing program and then installed the latest update - rather than installing over an old version. This time it took 52 seconds before I could run the Clean function, but the ini file size was almost the same as previously. My C drive is only 82 GB out of 250 GB capacity, most files are on separate drives - what governs the size of the ini file ?

• Moderators

Winapp2.ini was the same size? Is that what you're referring too?

If so, move the winapp2.ini file out of the CCleaner folder so that it can't use it, and then start CCleaner and see if it runs any faster.

If the large sized winapp2.ini file is the cause you'll need to run the Trim.bat file on it which will remove items from it which aren't needed for your system, it's available  in this topic under the title "ADVANCED USAGE AND TRIMMING", you just need to click the title/header to have it expand which will have a download link in it for Trim.bat:

1 hour ago, Andavari said:

Winapp2.ini was the same size? Is that what you're referring too?

If so, move the winapp2.ini file out of the CCleaner folder so that it can't use it, and then start CCleaner and see if it runs any faster.

If the large sized winapp2.ini file is the cause you'll need to run the Trim.bat file on it which will remove items from it which aren't needed for your system, it's available  in this topic under the title "ADVANCED USAGE AND TRIMMING", you just need to click the title/header to have it expand which will have a download link in it for Trim.bat:

That actually links to the old trim.bat that we do not maintain anymore. While the old trim.bat file should work, I recommend using Winapp2ool, instead. It is more updated and much more accurate with trimming Winapp2.

You can find it here: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2 Just click on Tools/beta and download the Winapp2ool.exe or you can click on download zip file.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

I  moved the winapp2.ini file to the desktop, and launched the CCleaner program - the ability to run the cleaner was there instantly. I ran the program and it appeared to run successfully, just as normal. I checked to see if the ini file had been reformed but it had not. Is there any reason why I cannot continue to run the program without the winapp2.ini file or do I need to reinstate it and run the trim.bat file?

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, mike21 said:

I  moved the winapp2.ini file to the desktop, and launched the CCleaner program - the ability to run the cleaner was there instantly. I ran the program and it appeared to run successfully, just as normal. I checked to see if the ini file had been reformed but it had not. Is there any reason why I cannot continue to run the program without the winapp2.ini file or do I need to reinstate it and run the trim.bat file?

Wait, you say it ran successfully without the ini, but then ask why it doesn't work properly without the ini.  Perhaps i'm missing something.  The winapp2 file is an optional ini, it contains extra cleaning rules.  The TRIM bat and winapp2ool remove from winapp2 file any extra rules you don't use.  The long wait time you reference from your report occurs because there are many rules in your winapp2.  Shrink or stop using winapp2 and you'll see the analyze button appears more quickly.  In short there's never a reason to run registry cleaning first, just need patience and/or a reduced set of rules to search for cleaning.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I indicated that it was available to use instantly and seemed to clean perfectly without the winapp2.ini file - I thought that maybe the file had been regenerated, not knowing what it did,  but found that it had not. I then asked if it is OK to continue to run without the file or if I should use the trim.bat facility. I now see that without the file some facilities will be missing; currently I only use the clean facility so I will happily continue without the winapp file - problem solved.