Change Avast Install default

Hi All,

I find the Avast Install "option" (default Alredy selected) to be most annoying!
Much as I like CCleaner... I have a strong dislike for being expected to say NO to any adverts or "affiliate" offers...

It should be the choice of the CCleaner User to accept should they require any such add-ons...
... such that they do not have to unistall having inadvertently chosen the CCleaner update!

Please; - the "option box" should be UNTICKED by DEFAULT.

Regards, Bebbspoke

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bebbspoke said:

I have a strong dislike for being expected to say NO to any adverts or "affiliate" offers.

With CCleaner you have two choices to avoid it:
1. Switch to using the Portable ZIP version available here.
2. Buy a license to use CCleaner Pro, which will avoid the things you don't like in the free version installer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You may be able to fix your problem by doing the following (no guarantee it will fix the issue though):
1. Re-install Avast.
2. Uninstall Avast via the Control Panel as you would any normal program.
3. Restart your computer even if you are not prompted to do so, and allow Windows to fully load, and then restart your computer once again.
4. Use that Avast uninstall cleanup/removal tool, and restart your computer once again even if you are not prompted to do so. Note: Doing all of these steps helps make sure Windows no longer recognizes Avast as your installed antivirus software.
5. See if this returns the functionality to Windows Defender. Note: You may need to do some additional tinkering to make Windows Defender the default system antivirus. I've seen posts on forums where people have previously used a 3rd party antivirus and have had to do something extra in the system settings to re-enable Windows Defender because some 3rd party antivirus uninstallers do not automatically re-enable it.

With 3rd party antivirus software (and software-based firewalls) you always want to attempt to uninstall them like any normal program via the Control Panel like Bebbspoke has already noted. Always do a system reboot if prompted to do so, if not prompted to do a system reboot do it yourself because all of them will typically leave something behind that requires a reboot to fully get rid of in-use files.

Only after you've uninstalled them normally via the Control Panel is when you can then go the extra step of making sure as much as possible is removed (additional files and registry settings) by running their official antivirus cleanup/removal/uninstall tool. There's a pinned topic here with links to a bunch of them.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
40 minutes ago, JeffG said:

The latest version (5.43) doesn't have the Avast box. Perhaps they are now GDPR compliant.

I believe it's more the case that offers leave a flag (reg entry or ini line) that says the offer was presented to you, and you declined or accepted it, and won't offer it to you till a later date.  At least that's how the google offer worked in the past.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

GDPR is about your consent to data about you being collected/retained.

And it's correct that pre-ticked boxes should not be used to obtain your consent to data collection.

However the Avast offer is not data collection, it's an offer, so GDPR does not apply to it.

Once you download the installer it is does not collect anything until you actually install Avast, (either by clicking on the icon or by restarting your computer), at which time it is Avast that will be collecting data and not CCleaner.

GDPR will apply to Avast itself when it collects data as it is / once it is installed.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

13 hours ago, nukecad said:

GDPR is about your consent to data about you being collected/retained.

And it's correct that pre-ticked boxes should not be used to obtain your consent to data collection.

However the Avast offer is not data collection, it's an offer, so GDPR does not apply to it.

Once you download the installer it is does not collect anything until you actually install Avast, (either by clicking on the icon or by restarting your computer), at which time it is Avast that will be collecting data and not CCleaner.

GDPR will apply to Avast itself when it collects data as it is / once it is installed.

I just registered in the forums after 6+ years of CCleaner use just because of this. There's a new "Privacy" (maybe not new) tab with two uncheckable options and both are about gathering data. Is this resolved in the Portable edition? Why can't we uncheck them? :( 

• Moderators

Why can't we uncheck them?

This is already being discussed, here on this forum, on the Avast forum, and on various tech industry blogs.
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51913-ccleaner-5436520-cannot-opt-out-of-privacy-exposing-compulsions/?tab=comments#comment-295944

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/24/ccleaner-update-introduces-privacy-options/

Many people have now pointed out that the ability to untick the first box (not the second one) does not coply with the new EU legislation.
It doesn't even comply with Piriforms own new privacy statement. (The privacy statement does comply with the new legislation).

It looks like there has been a minor disjoint between the lawyers and the developers. We are all awaiting the next move.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Well, that was fast, yesterday's version fixed the issue! Also, the spanish translation was improved, too (there were some missing sentences and everything) I was going to offer my help with it (being a spanish native speaker) but if everything is going smooth as butter, there's no need to add more.

Bebbspoke,

The checked Avast box is clearly on the first screen.  All you have to do is uncheck it.  I've been using CCleaner since it was in Beta and called Crap Cleaner.  That was before the Piriform pear was in the upper right had corner of the program.

This is a great program and I only need the basic mode.  That said, the people who created CCleaner and the ones who keep it constantly updated have to make money.  If they don't CCleaner will just fade away.

BTW, even if you don't install Avast an Avast Registry Key will be dropped.  I attached a screenshot of it.  If you are not familiar with the Registry just leave it.  Otherwise, you can delete the key if you want to.

CC Avast Reg Key.jpg

On 1.6.2018 at 05:49, Joe737 said:

BTW, even if you don't install Avast an Avast Registry Key will be dropped.  I attached a screenshot of it.  If you are not familiar with the Registry just leave it.  Otherwise, you can delete the key if you want to.

This registry key prevents that Avast will be offered again (with the next update).
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51681-avast-hidden-install/?tab=comments#comment-295038