Internet Explorer 11 update(s)

Willy2

- In february 2018 Microsoft didn't release a "Rollup Update" for e.g. Windows 7.

- People who are still using Internet Explorer 11 (I am one of them) still can update their IE 11 browser. MS has continued to release a separate "Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11" every month, alongside with the "Rollup Update". And even in february 2018 MS issued another "Cumulative Update for IE 11" (KB 4088835)".

- These IE 11 updates aren't released through the "Windows Update" feature/mechanism. Instead the user has to go to the "Microsoft Update Catalog" website and search with the keywords "Internet Explorer 11 update".

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

perhaps microsoft has missed 2 or 3 days this month? ;):D

thanks for this info, willy2 :)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

- I can only report on what's available for Win 7. Haven't got a clue if it applies to Win 8 or Win 10 (think:  "Edge").

- I also know that some programs still use the IE (HTML) rendering software/engine. I think Outlook Express Classic uses that engine as well.

15 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- I can only report on what's available for Win 7. Haven't got a clue if it applies to Win 8 or Win 10 (think:  "Edge").

i took a view into it...

windows 8.1 seems to be fine. no missing ie11-update this month (feb.)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

- I took a better look at the "MS Update catalogus" website. It turns out that MS released an IE 11 update for Win 8.1 in february 2018 as well. But it has a different KB number (KB 4074736) than the update for Win 7. (Win 8.1 updates Always have - compared with Win 7 updates - a different KB number). To find that Win 8.1 IE 11 update the user must sort the list of updates on the date of release.

my look was better as you know i mean :D;)

i know and i have :-) about the microsoft-update-channel

but thanks for this info - to update for my w7 :)

german:

Die im Sicherheitsupdate 4074736 für Internet Explorer enthaltenen Korrekturen sind auch im monatlichen Sicherheits- und Qualitätsrollup vom Februar 2018 enthalten. Die hier genannten Korrekturen werden installiert, wenn Sie das Sicherheitsupdate für Internet Explorer oder den monatlichen Sicherheits- und Qualitätsrollup installieren.

Wenn Sie andere Updateverwaltungsprozesse als Windows Update verwenden und die Bereitstellung aller als Sicherheitsupdate klassifizierten Updates automatisch genehmigen, werden sowohl dieses Sicherheitsupdate 4074736 für Internet Explorer, das reine Sicherheitsupdate vom Februar 2018 als auch der monatliche Sicherheits- und Qualitätsrollup vom Februar 2018 bereitgestellt. Überprüfen Sie Ihre Regeln für die Bereitstellung von Updates, um sicherzustellen, dass die gewünschten Updates bereitgestellt werden.

english:

The fixes that are included in this Security Update for Internet Explorer 4074736 are also included in the February 2018 Security Monthly Quality Rollup. Installing either the Security Update for Internet Explorer or the Security Monthly Quality Rollup installs the fixes that are in this update.

If you use update management processes other than Windows Update and you automatically approve all security updates classifications for deployment, this Security Update for Internet Explorer 4074736, the February  2018 Security Only Quality Update, and the February 2018 Security Monthly Quality Rollup are deployed. We recommend that you review your update deployment rules to make sure that the desired updates are deployed.

released at 13.2. and installed with:

2018-02 – Monatliches Sicherheitsqualitätsrollup für Windows 8.1 für x64-basierte Systeme (KB4074594)

- Ouch. Did a search with the words "Security Rollup" on the "MS update catalogus" website and then a number of things showed up. It turns out that MS DID release "Security Rollups" for e.g. Win 7 and for a number of .NET software versions.

- But the "Security Roll up" wasn't issued through the "Windows Update" mechanism. I am VERY sure of that !!!!

- The KB numbers of the february 2018 "Monthly Security Rollup Update":

Windows 7:  KB 4074598

Windows 8.1: KB 4074594

.NET v3.5 through v4.7.1 for Windows 7: KB 4076492

- If the user wants to find other "Monthly Security Rollup Updates" for other Operating systems and/or .NET versions, then search the "MS Update Catalogus" with the words "Security Rollup" and sort the results on the date (released).

2 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- But the "Security Roll up" wasn't issued through the "Windows Update" mechanism. I am VERY sure of that !!!!

... mh, but i have it without a search in microsoft catalog.

you could be right with your windows update, i have it with microsoft update B):) (da hab ich wohl nochmal glück gehabt?) <- i dont know how i does this funny sentence translate to english.

2018-02 – Monatliches Sicherheitsqualitätsrollup für Windows 8.1 für x64-basierte Systeme (KB4074594)

i have the net-update for w8.1 too :)

2 hours ago, Willy2 said:

on my w7 i have microsoft update too ;):) im afraid, i have the updates

• Moderators

da hab ich wohl nochmal glück gehabt

I've probably been lucky again

Thanks google

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

- I fear the latest "Cumulative Update for IE 11" update isn't "a success". I installed it yesterday and now the CPU fan makes (a lot) more noise. I will try if removing the update will help help to "cool things down".

perhaps try it a few days longer :-) i had also more heat for a day after updating but one day later its as all the other days before and fine

- Besides the "Monthly Rollup Update" for both Windows (e.g. for Win 7 and Win 8) and the .NET software, the user also can download the "Preview" versions of those updates. Search on the "MS Update Catalogue" website with the words "Preview Rollup Update" and "Preview Rollup Update .NET".

- I failed to find the february 2018 Preview Rollup for the .NET software. Is that still "Work in progress" ?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

- Search the "Microsoft Update Catalogus" website with "2018-03" and see what shows up. At  this moment MS already has some 13 updates available for downloading & installing this month. These updates are "Updates" and "Cumulative updates" but no " Rollup" updates. I assume those "Rollup" updates will be available tomorrow ?

- My personal opinion is and remains that MS should release a new Service Pack for both Win 8 & Win 7. And after doing that MS should  release only "Cumulative Updates" (either with or without updates for IE 11).  That  - IMO - would make life for A LOT OF computer users AND for Microsoft much easier. Just install e.g. Win 7 (with or without SP1), install the latest Service Pack and the latest "Cumulative Update". And the computer user is ready to go.

18 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- My personal opinion is and remains that MS should release a new Service Pack for both Win 8 & Win 7. And after doing that MS should  release only "Cumulative Updates" (either with or without updates for IE 11).  That  - IMO - would make life for A LOT OF computer users AND for Microsoft much easier. Just install e.g. Win 7 (with or without SP1), install the latest Service Pack and the latest "Cumulative Update". And the computer user is ready to go.

oh yes willy2, that would be a nice thing :)

i have found some rollup-updates for your w7 (it seems to be today) :lol:

on the second page in the first half above

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2018-03

2018-03 – Monatliches Sicherheitsqualitätsrollup für Windows 7 für x86-basierte Systeme (KB4088875)

2018-03 – Monatliches Sicherheitsqualitätsrollup für Windows 7 für x64-basierte Systeme (KB4088875)

- The latest update of IE 11 contains an extra filter/pop up mesage which helps the computer user to shield from "Active content". All fine and well but now the user has deal with one more pop up message. And it (seems to) interfere(s) with typing text when I want to use e.g. the GOOGLE search engine. VERY annoying !!!!!!!

- I haven't quite figured out what to do about this. I hope this will get picked up by the "Customer Experience" software in Windows (7) and MS will remove it from the next IE update.

- Question: Does the Piriform forum use "Active content" of any kind ? Because when I visit this forum this (annoying) message does pop up as well.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- Question: Does the Piriform forum use "Active content" of any kind ? Because when I visit this forum this (annoying) message does pop up as well.

I've been getting this for a while now with Firefox which also has an 'Active Content' filter.

As well as here it happens with any IP-board based forum that I visit, so it would seem to be the underlying Invision forum software.
(Doesn't happen with vBulletin or Xenforo based forums).

I've not yet found a way to turn this annoying notification off.

EDIT

I've found the setting to stop these pop ups in Firefox. (Sorry can't help for IE but I'm guessing there will be a similar one).

Options > Privacy & Security > scroll down to permissions and select Notifications 'Settings' > Check (tick) 'Block new requests asking to allow notifications'.

I previously had these set by 'website which had requested to send notifications', which had stopped working, setting it for all sites has blocked them again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

I've found the setting to stop these pop ups in Firefox.

works not on my ff esr.

you mean this?

extras (in english version perhaps options) -> settings -> content -> notifications -> choose --> there is nothing by me and no possibilities to change whatever

but

in the adressbar of ff -> click on the `i + green icon for secured connection + https://forum.piriform.com/....`

in the following contextmenue below the adressbar -> click on the right arrow -> on the next page click on "more informations"

another window of ff opens and shows the tabs "general" - "media" - "notifications" - "security"

choose the tab "notifications"

in the middle of the page choose "receive notifications" -> untick "use standard" > go further on the right side and choose "block"

this works fine :-)

ps: this notification pops up only if i login to this page -> as willy2 says

now with blocking this one notification ... silence at my monitor :)