CCleaner Error Message

Mainman407

The PC I use most often is my office PC. The operating system on this PC is Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 32-bit. My CPU is an AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz (Socket A) with 2.5GB memory with a Nvidia GeForce 2200 Graphics card.

When I first installed CCleaner on my PC if ran and performed as expected, even after installing several updates. However, about three months ago I was downloading the latest update. When the download was finished, I installed CCleaner and proceeded to run the program. But when I clicked on the CCleaner desktop icon a dialog box immediately appeared saying that CCleaner had performed an illegal operation and had to shut down. The actual message read: CCleane-exe - Application Error,  The exception illegal instruction. An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction. (0xc00001d) occurred in the application 0x0051ead8. Click on OK to terminate the Program. Click on CANCEL to debug the Program.  Just to make sure if  I was still receiving this message, I downloaded CCleaner version 5.28 and installed it. I received the same message. 

According to my system information, my .NET Framework version installed is 4.0. Should I delete 4.0 and first install 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and then 4.0?  I am experiencing the same issue with Malwarebytes and some other programs.

What are your thoughts?

It seems that If your CPU is not compatible with SSE2,  the last version of CCleaner that will work properly  is ver 5.26. 

You can use Speccy to check if your CPU is compatible. Post back what  works, would be helpful to others.  :)

Check these 2 links:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

It isn't even listed here in the system requirements on the official docs site. As you state it should be listed on the download page!

Edit:
The final version that works with non-SSE2 compatible processors is listed in the quote below.

CCleaner 5.26.5937 (Standard Installer) released 17 January 2017 can be downloaded at:

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/72800/