v5.40 can't find KERNEL32.dll entry point

Bcarson

This is probably more likely a problem with my operating system, Windows XP, SP2, than CCleaner.  I just installed the latest version 5.4 over an older version, 3.01, which was working fine. But when I try to start the new version I get the following error message: "The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll".  I suspect this is because it was expecting the SP3 KERNEL32.dll?

Since I am about to retire this PC in the near future, I don't want to install service pack 3 to find out if it will solve the problem (I am not even sure if pack 3 is still available).  So, I would appreciate any suggestions on how I might get version 5.4 to work on SP2.  I have yet to uninstall and reinstall v5.4 to see if it was a bad installation.

As a side note, the reason I wanted to upgrade CCleaner was because I read where the newer versions are capable of cleaning out Firefox cache2 entries which are now filling up my hard drive with gigabytes of content that I can't seem to get rid of by telling Firefox to clean out my cache.

• Moderators

5.40 or any future ccleaner has a minimum system requirement of xp sp3 AFAIK

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I think I mislead you; it was many versions ago, not 5.40, that ccleaner required sp3.  I don't know which version, but we have many XP (sp3) users here who are able to use even the latest version of ccleaner, maybe one of them might know the version.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You not only need Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3), it was also discovered many versions ago by users that the processor also needs SSE2 (or compatible).

I don't know what the last version of CCleaner was that supports non-SSE2 processors, however there's an archive of older versions listed here on the right-hand side that can be tried.

Thanks for the help.  I went to Filehippo and got the installation file for v5.26.5937 as you suggested, but when I ran it it wouldn't install. It just gave me a brief hour glass then quit, hmmmm.

Anyway, I had found a July 2014 web page that mentioned the latest CCleaner version was capable of cleaning cache2 in Firefox, so I went back in the archive at Filehippo and grabbed v4.16 and installed it.  It also installed the Google Chrome browser, which I didn't ask for. But, v4.16 did run on my SP2 PC, and it finds the Firefox cache2 entries like I wanted it to.

Is it me, or is that Filehippo site very slow? Are there other CCleaner archive sites?