Ccleaner and Avast

SHFC

Just saw on this forum that the Avast download was no longer to be offered once the user installed Ccleaner v5.40 and had previously opted out of Avast.  I just downloaded and installed 5.40 and sure enough there was the install Avast with the checkbox populated.  When will they stop trying to sneak Avast onto our computers.  I have had to uninstall Avast twice and it a pain.  Considering if continuing with Ccleaner is worth the effort. 

• Moderators

If you saw the checkbox then the fix was made.  I've not seen anything saying that they'd stop offering.  What I have seen is it the delay - that was causing installs of avast to unknowingly occur because the offer was not showing (was delayed) - was fixed.  Bundled software, especially when the offer is able to be opt-outted, is how free software works. don't like the time spent unchecking offers then don't use free versions.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Nergal said:

I've not seen anything saying that they'd stop offering.

The full News page about version 5.40 does say:

the Avast offer in the CCleaner installer is no longer shown if you have previously declined it.

https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements

I took that to mean that once you had declined it with v5.40 then it would not be offered again in future updates.

I had already declined the offer with v5.40 (by unticking the box), so as a test I ran the installer again - no offer was shown.

Personally I still think that no bundled offer should ever be pre-selected.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys,

This is down to an internal communication issue. The support for flagging that you have declined the offer was added in this version of CCleaner. Suppression of the offer will take effect in the March CCleaner installer (v5.41), or the next time you run the installer, if sooner.

Apologies for the confusion. I have removed this comment from the v5.40 release announcement now to be clearer (the change will sync across all our web servers & caches in the next 15-120 minutes).

Please take care to untick the offer before installing, even if you have previously declined it in an earlier install of CCleaner.

• Guest locked this topic