CCleaner Wipes Out Quick Launch, Start Menu, etc

I have recently reinstalled Windows 2000 and have noticed C Cleaner wipes out the contents of the following files: Quick Launch, Start Menu, Desktop and Favourites. It didn't do this before the re-install. Using Version 1.29.295

I can limit this by making the effected folders Read Only and Achives properties but this is not an ideal solution as it doesn't stop the icons (Shortcuts) being wiped out off the Desktop. Fortunately, I have a backup copy of my HardDrive so I can restore the efected folders but this is a real hassle. Any suggestions.

Have used C Cleaner since the first version and never had a problem till now. It's nearing the point where I'm about to uninstall it unless this problem can be sorted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Burnzee

My first suggestion is for you to check your environment variables. If your environment variables are incorrect, then CC will clean the incorrect things. Can you tell me what your environment variables are right now? That could shed some light on this matter.

BTW - Do you have anything checked under Advanced options? If you do, uncheck those.

And Welcome :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

For some unknown reason on both of my systems XP/98 CCleaner wants to remove some valid links in the start menu, and/or on the desktop.

My bad, I thought he/she was talking about files. I'm confused because he/she said that they have to use a backup to restore folders. You don't need a backup to restore a shortcut icon. So I guess I am not clear on what is being removed.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

My bad, I thought he/she was talking about files. I'm confused because he/she said that they have to use a backup to restore folders. You don't need a backup to restore a shortcut icon. So I guess I am not clear on what is being removed.

.LNK are files, and important ones at that because it would be a royal pain to have them all deleted for no obvious reason which most people would end up having to reinstall everything to get them all back and some aren't even .LNK files such as with Microsoft Office which uses something that almost resembles a CLSID registry key to launch an application. CC wants to remove so many of them from my Win98 PC that I've disabled CC's checking of .LNK files in the Issues portion. It only finds valid links as invalid on my WinXP system if I'm using a different user profile other than my default one.

CC removing IE's Favorites is something I haven't encountered, but then again I only have two IE Favorites 'Microsoft Update' & 'Dell Support', since I don't use it but for those two sites. Also the IE Favorites are Internet Shortcuts/URL links which CC to my knowledge can't determine if they're valid since the only web access it has is to check for updates. Something is very goofy in either CC or with some Windows installation because multiple people have posted such problems.

I keep backups of links (.LNK) on the desktop and start menu that I have because just about all of them are using a custom icon I've switched them to, or have a description I added to them.