is this bad?

Harry J

hi everyone

i was doing the benchmark on my partitioned hard drive and it shows this :huh::wacko::(

Hd : ata toshiba dt01aca1 scsi 

i use that (black) partition for games and recently i noticed a loooong time on loading screens... can be fixed??  

thx 

Sin título.png

- No, this isn't bad. Did you perhaps install one or more (new) games recently ? That could explain the high fragmentation (64%) and the long loading/reading times.

- Defragmenting the drive either with Defraggler or with Windows Disk Defragmentation will certainly help to decrease the read and write times and increase performance.

- Defragment the drive and report back if defragmentation helped to increase perfromance and if so by how much.

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

- Indeed. 350 kb/s is indeed (very) slow. But defragmenting the drive certainly should help to increase that reading speed.

- My HD rates at ~ 1,2 MB per second (with ~ 6% fragmentation).

• Moderators

First I'd run ChkDsk on that hard disk either with /f to quickly look for errors, or if you think the hard disk may possibly be damaged run it with the /r parameter.

Next I'd find out if that hard disk is stuck in PIO Mode which you definitely don't want it to be in because it's dreadfully slow. Requires looking through the Device Manager to find out if it is or isn't. Here's a search for: hard disk in pio mode

If it's stuck in PIO Mode there can be a variety of reasons, such as the hard disk could be failing, in Defraggler you can look at the Health tab for it to tell you if it's in good health or not.

- I thought PIO mode was a problem in Windows XP only ?

- Fragmentation has already dropped down to ~ 55% and then already such an increase in speed. WOW !!!!

- I did some additional research with DF on my own laptop. Let DF list the fragmented files, sort the list on size and then (manuallly) defragment the largest files first. That should help to increase the read & write speed the most.

- And then run "Defrag Free space" as well (several times) to compact those files on that drive.

you need a complete defragmentation :-)

with what kind of files is your harddrive d filled? movies, musik, etc...?

if yes, you can move these files to an usb-stick or external harddisk and than make an defragmentation -> after defragmentation can you take your files again on your harddisk d.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- I thought PIO mode was a problem in Windows XP only ?

It's usually only XP that commonly gets stuck in it. From what I've read over the years there can be reasons a more modern OS may cause a drive to get stuck in it "permanently" , i.e.; disk errors (seems unlikely but ChkDsk can work magic in some cases), damage, or the registry key for it is missing/corrupt, etc.

Also worth mentioning is what Automatic Acoustic Management ("AAM") mode is the hard disk configured to be in Fast/Performance mode, or Quiet mode, that might be worth looking into - it's usually a BIOS setting that can be configured in Dell desktops and supposedly it makes a huge difference in drive speed.

- SPECCY gives a "Warning" for your drive. And rightfully so. The "Raw" values of C0 and 05 are no longer at zero. Yes, that could be an indication that your HD is (in the 1st stages of) failing. Yes, and then your HD takes "more time" to read & write data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T

1 hour ago, Willy2 said:

- SPECCY gives a "Warning" for your drive. And rightfully so. The "Raw" values of C0 and 05 are no longer at zero. Yes, that could be an indication that your HD is (in the 1st stages of) failing. Yes, and then your HD takes "more time" to read & write data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T

i guess is time to save all the info in that partition  :wacko:

--edit

well i cant backup or copy data now, it takes 10 hrs to move a single 200mb folder... and then it ends the tranfer.

i got a question, if i put this HD  as a slave i may be able to copy the data on a new HD? 

i mean, slave with sata is not available. but if its pata -> yes

but you can take it as a second sata -> yes too

you can also connecting your hd with an external hd-reader-port on usb-port

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"