Need help recovering deleted videos

oldcrawler

Hi I accidentally deleted 5 out of 7 videos. I have not used the card but it says that 4 of the videos have been overwritten by the fifth one. They all display as different sizes and when I recover them, they are in fact all the 5th video, with some minor differences here and there. Is there anything I can do?Probablyscrewed.thumb.jpg.8c37a0504d03d19e112cf8c8fef375f6.jpg

• Moderators

As you say card I assume the file system is FAT32. If so then (regulars will be getting bored with me repeating this) on file deletion the file system will zero the first two bytes of the file's cluster address, making the file inaccessible. If you look at the info pane on the right for each of the files the cluster address may start at under 65,535. If this is so then this indicates that the cluster address has been zapped. This will explain why four of the files appear to be overwritten by the fifth. their adresses are now pointing to, or near to, the start of the fifth file, which has a valid address.

Unfortunately there's no trick to resolve this. The values in the first two bytes are gone forever. The files will still remain on the card in their original position, but are difficult to locate. If you run a deep scan and look for, and recover, any files with a similar size of the four 'lost' files, then you just might, just might, be lucky. Any files that are fragmented will not be able to be recovered in their entirety, as only the first fragment can be identified. It's worth a try.