CCleaner not finding duplicates

madoues

Hi,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't see what it could be. I am using the free version of CCleaner v5.37.6309 (64-bit) on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have folders with a few thousand "rtf" files and I know some, many of them, are the same. But , in "Duplicate Finder", CCleaner is not finding them.

I also have an old program to find duplicates that I used to use called "Dupeless", which was provided by PCMag I believe.

Dupeless finds hundreds of duplicates while CCleaner doesn't find a single one.

If I take two of those identical files that Dupeless finds and copy them to another folder, point CCleaner there and it finds them!!!!

If that's not weird enough, if I change the default in the "INCLUDE" Tab from "All Files" to "*.rtf", suddenly, CCleaner finds four files, but only four, when there are hundreds that are the same.

I am no expert, but doesn't that have to be a bug?

Sincerely,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Probably one small appropriate selection at the Options section is missed out ! 

After you have ticked the relevant “Match by” parameter checkboxes:

1. Click on the <Add> button, a pop-up window "Include" is displayed.
  2. At the Include section, click on the <Browse> button to select a drive or folder which you wish to search for duplicated files.
  3. At the File Types section, leave the radio button defaulted to "All Files" or select "File Types" to key in the desired file type(s) to search.
  4. At the Options section, select "Include files and subfolders" from the dropdown list.
  5. Click on the <OK> button to exit the pop-up window.
  6. Click on the <Search> button to begin the search for duplicate files.