SymantecAntivirus

joiner

I have put on Symantec Antivirus, running good, but when i run windows defender a box comes up with this, SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT, Target: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec share\ccSetmgr.exe

Events Info: Open Process

Action Taken: Blocked

Actor Process: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (PID 1188, 10 May 2006 22:48:46, there is a box in set up saying Block or Log or should i disable it

Symantec Antivirus also known as Norton AntiVirus is big, slow, bloated, crappy, sucky, resource hogging, memory draining piece of crap.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

could someone explain to me with facts and figures the comparison between norton and other products? i continuously hear "bloated", but what is exactly bloated? compared to what? too much resources used? what are they? what are others?

LOL Eldmannen! Why don't you just put something in your sig so you don't have to constantly type those comments everytime there's a thread about Symantec/Norton.

Because it's good for stress relief. I HATE NORTON!!!!! :lol::lol:

• Moderators

LOL Eldmannen! Why don't you just put something in your sig so you don't have to constantly type those comments everytime there's a thread about Symantec/Norton.

nah he just needs to put it in his sig.

I hate anything thats not free or open source.

Then he can just stop posting because thats what all his posts say. :P

Bloat is tons of useless crap that is not needed and do nothing but make the software resource hogging and more difficult to use. Prime examples are software such as MSN. Intended for instant messenging, but comes with handwriting, games, skins and all kind of crap.

An antivirus software should detect and remove viruses. But Norton has a big skinned slow interface. I wouldnt install Norton AntiVirus into my computer, even if I was payed todo so.

Andavari, you do have a point. Maybe I should do that. ;)

rridgely, yes that is pretty true. I am a strong proponent of open source, open standards and freedom. However, just because something is open source doesnt mean that I like it. Because some open source is not free in all aspects. Even though they might be open source they might have restrictive software licenses that does not permit or grant you to use, distribute or modify it in such a way that you would like to. I like alot software under the GPL (GNU General Public License) and LGPL (GNU Lesser General Public License), but also the BSD license and pretty much all OSI approved licenses. (OSI is Open Source Iniative).

* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

If there is no publically available source code to a software, then I am less likely to trust it, and less likely to use it.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png