Quick ? about background programs in Win 2000 Pro

Allright, I'm running Windows 2000 Pro on this computer. When ever I look do Ctrl+Alt+Delete, I always look at the Processes Tab under the Task Manager. To me, it seems like there are too many processes going, and I want to see which ones I can get rid of. Whenever I check Windows Defender, I look at the Start Up Programs, and then the Currently Running Programs sections, and everything seems fine, but I go back to the Task Manager and it seems like there is more running than should be.

For instance, I have 4 of the svchost.exe at the same time: that just doesn't seem right.

Any help would be apprecieated.

AJ

Multiple instances of svchost is correct. Even if you have 30+ processes listed, it's not really a big deal.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Hehe... I have 15 processes if I exit Firefox, etc. and just plain look at my desktop when it's COMPLETELY idle. Optimization is a good thing :)

I've managed to play all of today's modern games with a 4-year old machine...

Hehe... I have 15 processes if I exit Firefox, etc. and just plain look at my desktop when it's COMPLETELY idle. Optimization is a good thing :)

I've managed to play all of today's modern games with a 4-year old machine...

Well, it probably helps that your four-year old machine is way better than my two-year old machine... grumble grumble...

But any day now I'll break down and build myself something half-way decent. I have the money, but I hate to spend it... sigh...

We'll see how long I can put it off before I get sick and tired of my paperweigh-of-a-notebook and throw it out my window! I guess then I'll have to build a new one, cause I'm not about to give up my Internet!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

We'll see how long I can put it off before I get sick and tired of my paperweigh-of-a-notebook and throw it out my window! I guess then I'll have to build a new one, cause I'm not about to give up my Internet!

Keep it as a backup!

Keep it as a backup!

Well it won't make a very good backup after I've thrown it out the window. :D

But actually, I already promised my girlfriend she gets it once I build my new comp (should be fairly soon). Even though it's slow for me, it's still way faster than her crap-of-a-Dell.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!