I got hacked

steve1368

I thought my computer security is pretty good.

I mean I have Kaspersky,Ewido,cwshredder,spywareblaster,MSAS,ad-aware,spybot,analog script defender,ccleaner,outpost pro, D-link hardware firewall. I always use firefox , use ccleaner after use and regularly scan & clean my comp.

But guess what ! I got hacked into my e-gold account, luckily only lost small change but I'm damn mad because someone got thru all my securities measures I have taken.

The only think I can think of is this trojan I read about "Win32.Grams" , those who wanna read more , here is the link. http://www.lurhq.com/grams.html

Now , I'm totally lost, you can never be too careful. Did some research, some suggested using VMware virtual desktop http://www.vmware.com/ and another suggested Faronics Deep-Freeze http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

I really hope someone can shed some light in this matter. I don't feel safe anymore, altho I've changed my passwords.

Help me out guys before I go bonkers.

You may have all those programs, but you might have downloaded something unintentionally while visiting an unsafe site or downloading an application that was bundled with a trojan keylogger. Be honest, have you downloaded ANYTHING at all within a few weeks of your account being hacked? Even visiting crack/serial sites, or even being accidentally redirected to random sites can get stuff automatically downloaded.

I would also recommend you do a little research on your AV programs. I've heard of and know that Spywareblaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware, etc. are good "legit" programs, but I've never heard of the others before.

You may have all those programs, but you might have downloaded something unintentionally while visiting an unsafe site or downloading an application that was bundled with a trojan keylogger. Be honest, have you downloaded ANYTHING at all within a few weeks of your account being hacked? Even visiting crack/serial sites, or even being accidentally redirected to random sites can get stuff automatically downloaded.

I would also recommend you do a little research on your AV programs. I've heard of and know that Spywareblaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware, etc. are good "legit" programs, but I've never heard of the others before.

I can safely say that I didn't visit crack/serial sites recently. I do download movie torrents ( I love movies ), and I only click on links from the sender I know off, if not it is a big NO NO for me. Now I'm gonna stop that too.

Along with the Spyware programs above, get Windows Defender (formerly Microsoft Anti-Spyware.) It provides real time protection, and having them overlap each other is never a bad idea.

AJ

Guess I was away too long from here, I didn't know MSAS ( Microsoft Anti-Spyware) is now known as Windows Defender. I have MSAS running at all times, wouldn't that cause any problems if both running together ?

Anyway, just to inform everyone, I have scanned my system & came out with nothing, just wondering whether my comp security is compromised? Anything else I can do ?

Windows Defender will replace MSAS on it's own. Defender is the upgrade.

Oh and Steve...go here to have your PC checked out. Andy will help you confirm that your machine is clean and well protected. :D

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Guest Viki

You might also want to check out this new program that protects your computer at the systems level by securing your sockets from unwanted downloads. Even before new patches are developed.

This beta is free but will require a license later this year when it is a full application.

I am using it and have had wonderful results.

SocketShield

Exploit Prevention Labs (XPL)

http://www.explabs.com/index.html

Zero-day exploits are traded online for financial reward. International cyber-gangs cruise the web, constantly on the lookout for software vulnerabilities to exploit. Actively seeking to make money by defrauding computer users, these gangs lurk behind the scenes on legitimate websites and use drive-by download techniques to deliver their poisonous payloads - without your knowledge or permission.

Software vulnerabilities are a fact of life. What's needed is a way to prevent the bad guys from exploiting the risk window ? the time between discovery and patching of a vulnerability. This risk window is getting wider as the criminals get smarter ? zero-day exploits can be in circulation within minutes of a vulnerability being announced, while software companies take an average of two months to distribute a fully-tested patch.

SocketShield stops exploits from getting on to computers during the risk window. Easy to use, it protects vulnerable systems against drive-by-downloads and other web-based zero-day exploits. Developed by the people behind PestPatrol and ZoneAlarm, SocketShield delivers the first truly effective protection against zero-day exploits.

Download Link: http://www.explabs.com/downloads/beta/getinstaller.asp

If you do things like eGold and online transactions then security becomes a top priority.

You could get a Linux Live CD distribution, that way you can boot the computer from the CD and run the operating system and all software directly from the CD without mounting the harddisk. Since the CD is read-only media, nothing can written/installed on the CD and it cant touch the disk either unless you mount it. Linux has very high security.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png