Drive Compression in XP

Guest Viki

Guest Viki

I have two internal hard drives

Drive C has my XP and installed programs.

Drive D holds all of my images, music, files, zipped programs, etc.

Some time ago I compressed drive D because it was filling up after converting all of my CD's to my hard drive (I admit that I did NO research before making that decision).

Now, after decompressing the drive, the files still appear 'blue' unless I physically alter/edit them.

Windows reports that neither the drive nor the folders are compressed but the individual files tell a different story...

What am I missing? I no longer want my MP3's and images to be compressed any more than what they natively would be.

I have 2GB ram and a fairly decent co-processer but would like to lighten the work load they experience through compressing/decompressing files.

If, in fact, my drive is already decompressed; why do the files still appear blue in Windows Explorer?

Check the file properties to see if the files are still compressed.

If I recall correctly, with NTFS compression, when you decompress a folder, the subfolders and files within are not decompressed unless you select that option.

Guest Viki
Check the file properties to see if the files are still compressed.

If I recall correctly, with NTFS compression, when you decompress a folder, the subfolders and files within are not decompressed unless you select that option.

Is there a way to correct this 'after the fact'?

How to remove all compression attributes:

Start > Run > cmd.exe

Once in cmd.exe, type:

compact /u /s:X:\ /i /f /a /q > C:\compression.log

Where X: is the drive letter you wish to uncompress. It will not say anything or return you to a C:\ prompt until it is complete. You will also be able to look at C:\compression.log to see what was processed.

:)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Guest Viki
How to remove all compression attributes:

Start > Run > cmd.exe

Once in cmd.exe, type:

compact /u /s:X:\ /i /f /a /q > C:\compression.log

Where X: is the drive letter you wish to uncompress. It will not say anything or return you to a C:\ prompt until it is complete. You will also be able to look at C:\compression.log to see what was processed.

:)

What effect will this have on the rar and zip files stored on this drive?

Will they still be in their compressed formats?

Yes. This only affects NTFS' internal compression capability. This unsets the compression flag on the file.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Guest Viki
Yes. This only affects NTFS' internal compression capability. This unsets the compression flag on the file.

Thank you so much for your prompt and capable help.

:D