change size of temp folders

TheFiresInTheSky

im using a voice recording software and it ran out of space in the temp files. i made 2 drives. c and d. the one w/o windows on it has a temporary file which is ONE that i use. they both ran out of space and im not sure how to increase it. cant remember wer the other one was located. maybe locals?

Sorry, no idea. Unless you've run up against the FAT32 or NTFS limit (unlikely), or ran out of available drive space, I'm not aware of any general limit on file or folder size. Any such limit is probably set by the app you are using (a limit on file size is common but one on folder size seems strange).

What app are you using? What is the file format (e.g., .wav)? How big is each file? How many files do you have in the one folder? What file system are you using on your drive (i.e., NTFS or FAT32)?

• Moderators

What program is it, perhaps that would help someone narrow down the issue.

I do know that some wave editor programs can use "temp" file/cache in two different ways, and so not to confuse the two these are them:

* Default usually: Utilize the temp folder to store undo data.

* Has to usually be custom selected: Utilize the system memory to store undo data. This one when working with large wave files can very quickly use up the system memory forcing a reboot, hence the reason not to use it.

I don't know the app at all. Does the "Reserve 10 MB" mean you've set the file or folder limit to 10 MB?

Even recording at a low bit rate, 43 minutes could easily exceed 10 MB. Consider that a typical music CD is about 400 MB.

• Moderators

Only 10 MB sounds ridiculously low because 1 minute of uncompressed wave audio is approximately 10 MB itself, and a 43 minute recording as one .wav file would itself be approximately 430 MB. In general you need to allot enough free undo MB for those large single .wav tracks that you may occasionally work with.

Edit:

If CoolEdit is giving you to many problems click the Audacity link in my signature for a very easy to use open source .wav/.mp3/.ogg editor that utilizes the temp undo without set limits.