How to handle too many files

holston77

W7 Pro, 16GB  RAM, defective program deleted programs, folders, partitioning on 3TB drive, 2TB partition only in use. Ran just under 30 hours, found 8,889,323 files and ignored 3,035,364 files from the 1.8TB of files occupying the 2TB partition. Other 1TB space not partitioned or active. Files posted on display for selection but as the list grew, RAM depletes.  I last saw it at 12GB then all screens and desktop disappeared except for a few links, Recuva still active. Finally everything locked up. How to handle? Is the list saved or rescan -- either OK -- but need a recovery plan. I wanted to recover all but the bad files indicated. Would be nice to save the list. Suggestions welcome.

• Moderators

The list isn't saved. If Recuva were accessible then the list could be saved as a text file, to be used as reference only, not as input to the recovery process.

i remember Recuva when it was under 1 mb in size and disks were around 150 mb. Now disks are three terabytes, that's a lot to bite off and chew. As Recuva doesn't write to the source disk it must write its data to ram. I don't know the size of the saved info for each file but with 12 m files and ram up to 12 gb it must be well into the hundreds of bytes. There's no upper limit to the disk size Recuva can handle, but there must be an upper file/ram combination, and it looks as if you're hitting it.

As Recuva will always scan the entire drive whatever scan options you choose I don't really know what to suggest to proceed further, apart from killing every other process you can whilst Recuva is running. I'll have a think overnight.