edb file extensions

charjeanne

• Moderators

is this your file; http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-edb-file

how many do you have, and in what locations?
attaching a screenshot will probably explain things better.:)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

mta, I ran the indexer shortly after your post yesterday and just wanted to let you know it is still running. (10:30 am CST)  It has indexed over 1,300,000 files and there is more to go.  I have 920 gbs and was getting messages that my computer had no more storage space.  I'm 68 and live alone.  I only use the computer for personal things and should not have used anywhere near 920 gb.  I'm so hoping this will free up more space. 

Here is the before picture.  Look at the lower section - line 3 & 4 are exactly the same size, so is 6 & 7 and then the next 3 items are exactly the same.  What are the odds they would be the same unless they are duplicates?   And yes I did run the duplicate finder before I started this.  It freed up about 1 gb and that was all.  I'll let you know what happens when it finishes.  Thanks again. Charjeanne

image.thumb.png.c9c1ca8373adcb10077a87e0c7b3d504.png

users\your nick\cloud...? what is this?

i have looked on my w8.1 and i found only a few files with .edb -> nothing with more than 2-8 mb in average size.

there are 3 files bigger -one have a size of 24 mb, one have a size of 72 mb and one have a size of 160 mb.

nothing has such a filename as this on your pc....

i mean all of this files are windows own stuff -> yours seems not so

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

what kind of cloud-app you use, is there an option to clean this "*.edb"? perhaps this are copies of what ever to copy in your cloud...thing

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I know what the concept of a cloud is - to store files off of your computer thereby making more space for you.  I haven't looked into it, guess I'll have to now.  I ran the indexing and it ran for over 15 hours and indexed 1,400,000 files but I'm not seeing a difference in the total GB being used.  I'm rather lost right now. I just don't know enough to correct this.  I'll look into the cloud apps but I'd rather find out how to fix this problem if I can. 

15 h for indexing?

do you used windows index? i think you dont need it actually.

do you know what cloud you use?

perhaps knows anyone (or dr. google) what kind of problem it is, if you can tell what cloud... it is.

ps. look at your pic -> disk analyze

--> try ccleaner disk analyzer again - the lower half on your pic, second column (path) - pull the column wider to see the full path

I don't know why I have these large amounts.  I've had my computer for years and I guess it's added up, whatever 'it' is.  I'm wondering if there is a setting that I need to change to stop this and correct the way the searches are saved. (if that is the right way to say it)

I'm totally lost on this and will probably have to take it to a technician.

This is what I used.  You can see the large number if items at the top.

image.png.8d8d34d3472ca02a396c6aa3a3544895.png

is your used cloud a windows 10 build-in-cloud? or from another manufacturer?

ps: i dont believe that windows index-service stored such amount of files in such an great size...

i have windows index service deactivated on my w8.1 because i dont need it

• Moderators

OK, let's come at this from another angle.

if I have this right, you aren't so much worried what these EDB files are, more concerned why you have so many files, hence, low remaining driver space.
correct?

these EDB files, admittedly it'll be nice to why/how etc, but let's not go down that rabbit hole today.  they are system files, and as such, more or less look after themselves and should be left alone where ever possible.

I would get WizTree from here; https://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wiztree-finds-the-files-and-folders-using-the-most-disk-space-on-your-hard-drive/
that should show you where all your space has gone.

from the CC shot you attached, you have 60gigs in Pictures, 100gigs of Music, 30gigs of Documents, and 720gigs in Other.
that's the category that needs further investigation.

charjeanne means all files with filesname ".edb" at the end with each 700 mb or more

with probably 700 gb of space... and this are not from indexservice i mean, because from the cloud - service that is used.

• Moderators

OK, I see now, it's not the normal .edb files for Windows, looks like some program using the same extension.

we need more info Charlotte on what those EDB entries are.
can you expand the Name and Path columns and redo the screenshot?

Trium, the only 'cloud' I have on my computer is a cloud drive and I think it has a duplicate of everything, I did a back up with it.  But if it's considered 'cloud' isn't it not supposed to use space on my computer?  I'm starting to get confused about how some of this works.

mta,  I'll look into WizTree

please look at your pc

windows-explorer -> drive c:\

-> users

-> charlotte

-> cloud ... and look the way along...

ps. i see now your pic :-)

• Moderators

OK, looks like they are just backup files from your PC.

instead of backing them up to your C:\ drive, get an external drive and use that as the target instead.

then you can delete those PC files.

I'll get an external drive, been looking at them.  I thought when I backed up my files I was going into a cloud pointless to leave 2 of everything on my computer.  But I have tried to delete some of those edb files and it says I'm not allowed.  I guess I could just go to the 'cloud' files and delete everything in it but I don't think that will delete the edb files. 

instead of backing them up to your C:\ drive, get an external drive and use that as the target instead.

attention please: you must input the backup-path in your "cloud-drive-app" -because your app will continue this space-hungry process and at near future your drive will be with full of harddrive-space again.

-> there must be an option to delete "old backups"... can you take a look in your "cloud-app"?

have you this app from the windows-store?

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/store/p/cloud-drive/9nblggh5qkdc

perhaps a stupid question from me:

do you really need this cloud-app/feature?

an simple other way -> buy an external harddrive with a size of for example 1TB and copy simply your important private data from your pc-harddrive to your external-harddrive

then uninstall this cloud-app -> with all kind of user-datas -> perhaps you must delete these "cloud-drive\backup" folder manually

then is this kind of problem gone