Providers of CCleaner are forcing installation of Avast Antivirus

It has now happened to me twice that when I updated CCleaner from Piriform, I was given the option to download and install Avast Antivirus, after ignoring a warning from Malwarebytes that I have opened an unsafe website. On each occasion, I un-ticked (said NO) to the question if I would like to install Avast Antivirus. The update of CCleaner nevertheless continued downloading and installing Avast Antivirus. You can't have conflicting anti-virus programs on your computer. You need to uninstall either Avast or your old antivirus program. To get rid of Avast Antivirus, you have to download the uninstall tool (avastclear.exe) and uninstall Avast in Windows Safe Mode. Time-consuming and highly annoying. How do I update CCleaner without this forced installation of Avast?

• Moderators

why Avast is still being installed after you deselected that option, only Piriform can look into that.
and I'll pass this on to the Admin team to make sure they see it.

they provide a Slim and Portable build, both without the embedded offering, so that's what you need to download.
the Slim gets released about a week after any new release.
the Portable NORMALLY gets release the same time as a new release - BUT FOR SOME REASON, this release, Piriform have decided to hold out on the Portable build until further notice.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

this issue has been passed onto the Admins to investigate.

I'll pass on any updates when known.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah after a fresh windows 10 install on my gaming PC due to my SSD failing, I installed CCleaner and unchecked the Avast ad at the bottom, Well, it ended up on my computer anyway....

I just Cloned Windows 10 to a SSD for my customers All-in-One PC, Decided the computer needed cleaned up, Installed a updated version of CCleaner, they had an old version, When it asked to install Avast, I unchecked the box, well its still installed Avast anyway....

Screenshot_1.png

Guest Stephen CCleaner
12 minutes ago, Viking2121 said:

Yeah after a fresh windows 10 install on my gaming PC due to my SSD failing, I installed CCleaner and unchecked the Avast ad at the bottom, Well, it ended up on my computer anyway....

I just Cloned Windows 10 to a SSD for my customers All-in-One PC, Decided the computer needed cleaned up, Installed a updated version of CCleaner, they had an old version, When it asked to install Avast, I unchecked the box, well its still installed Avast anyway....

Screenshot_1.png

This is definitely not the intended behaviour.

Please can you PM me a DxDiag of one (or preferably both) of the affected machines? It would also be helpful to know the following:

1. Prior to installation, which antivirus solution was installed? (e.g. Defender, Avira)
  2. Prior to installation, was MalwareBytes installed?

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 12/15/2017 at 08:33, ecbritz said:

It has now happened to me twice that when I updated CCleaner from Piriform, I was given the option to download and install Avast Antivirus, after ignoring a warning from Malwarebytes that I have opened an unsafe website. On each occasion, I un-ticked (said NO) to the question if I would like to install Avast Antivirus. The update of CCleaner nevertheless continued downloading and installing Avast Antivirus. You can't have conflicting anti-virus programs on your computer. You need to uninstall either Avast or your old antivirus program. To get rid of Avast Antivirus, you have to download the uninstall tool (avastclear.exe) and uninstall Avast in Windows Safe Mode. Time-consuming and highly annoying. How do I update CCleaner without this forced installation of Avast?

Please can you PM me a DxDiag of one (or preferably both) of the affected machines? It would also be helpful to know the following:

1. Prior to installation, which antivirus solution was installed? (e.g. Defender, Avira)
  2. Prior to installation, was MalwareBytes installed?

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, flipper_p said:

These people are liars and scoundrels.  They know full well that CCleaner free edition installs Avast anti-virus with ZERO warning or consent.  Just happened to me with v5.43.6522.  BURN IN HELL, Piriform/Avast.

Wouldn't say they are liars, I mean many free software do install or try to install other software in a form of ads because well, Its free anyway. And CClearner works great if they just fix this issue.

I also got hit with Avast on a client's laptop after installing CClearner, and I also unchecked the box to install avast. I no longer have the laptop as I gave it back to my client after repair. My desktop which I just rebuilt, installed a clean version of windows and CCleaner and I unchecked the box for Avast and it never installed. So idk why it does it.

I'm furious, I also ended up with Avast on my computer after instructing it NOT to install it during the latest update.  It was almost impossible to remove from my system.  It took me TWO DAYS to get all remnants off of my machine and I had to jump through hoops to force it all to delete.  It kept saying it was still running after I end tasked, removed it from start-up, changed file names, deleted as many files as I could get permission to (yes, I was denied permission to alter or delete the program even as an administrator on my own machine).  I've used Ccleaner for years, I can't believe they would violate people like this in such a sketchy manner, talk about disappointing.

To make it worse, the CCLEANER update made the program work so slow it takes about an hour or just lags indefinitely and never finishes...it used to take less than a minute and I ran it every day to fix DNS errors on my machine that pop up because of VPN usage.  

Ironically, I was just thinking of buying the program to support to designers.  Won't be doing that now!!!!!!

I am extremely disappointed to see some of the things that are going on with Piriform, and CCleaner. I have used it for many years, but between how slow it has become, and these downright deceptive tactics I am reading about,.....I believe it's time to call it quits. Thankfully I am still running an older version due to the ridiculous splash screen after running a cleaning.

Not admirable tactics at all.

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Thank you all for the continued feedback. We are working on resolving this. We do know that this affects a very small minority of people. This makes it very difficult to debug, and we are coming to the conclusion that it may require some bigger changes to the installer. This will take time, so please accept our apologies and we very much appreciate your patience.

In the meantime, you can continue to use the Slim version of the software from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds