CCleaner v5.38 installing Avast Free Antivirus

SMalik

• Moderators

Defender won't start if it detects a 3rd party AV program.
as to Avast removal, have you tried Revo Uninstaller, they do a free version.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
11 hours ago, theoldwizard1 said:

Okay so how do I get RID OF AVAST !

I download the avastclear.exe file and ran it from the administrator account while in safe mode but there are a lot of "pieces" left around that I can not get rid of.  On top of that it appears that AVAST has blocked access to Windows Defender !

Hi theoldwizard,

It sounds like during installation Avast was registered in Windows Security Center as the active antivirus solution, but the installation process did not complete successfully. Please try these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Avast and select Repair
  2. Restart the PC and then go to Control Panel and Uninstall a Program
  3. Select Avast and fully complete the uninstallation process

12 minutes ago, Stephen Piriform said:

Hi theoldwizard,

It sounds like during installation Avast was registered in Windows Security Center as the active antivirus solution, but the installation process did not complete successfully. Please try these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Avast and select Repair
  2. Restart the PC and then go to Control Panel and Uninstall a Program
  3. Select Avast and fully complete the uninstallation process

I already removed Avast! using CCleaner, but there were may files left in C:\Windows\winsxs.

Quickest/easiest solution was to boot a Linux System Rescue Disk and nukes them that way !

• 2 weeks later...

i just updated to the new ccleaner on my windows 10 i never installed avast on my pc it was never on this pc at all. uninstall i updated to the latest ccleaner. then the next thing i know i had stupid avast on my pc. i never consented for you  to  install that junk on my  pc. and i did a custom install there was no word about it in install options.there was no choice it did it all by its self.

for you  to  install that junk on my  pc. and i did a custom install there was no word about it in install options.there was no choice it did it all by its self.

say you dont install 3rd party junk all you want i know for a fact that you did.

Avast acts like a hijacker seriously poor choice to associate yourselves with this programme. CCleaner I am so disappointed right now wasting my time trying to get rid of that junk programme. For everyone else please be careful to read carefully before updating your cleaner from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Guest locked this topic
Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys, I apologise if you did not see a consent checkbox in the installation. This is not at all the intended behaviour.

You can use the following guide to remove Avast Free antivirus from your machine: https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/10/

Since we are gathering all feedback and reported incidents in another thread, I will close this one now. Please visit the thread below for the latest updates and to provide what info you can so we can resolve this.

Many thanks.