CCleaner v5.38 installing Avast Free Antivirus

SMalik

I just reinstalled CCleaner v5.38 and it installed Avast Free Antivirus without any notice. I chose customized installation. Please take a look at the snapshot. There is no notice at all, even in the customized installation.

cc_v538.png

1 hour ago, dvdbane said:

it should appear before you click Customize

as for me, when doing upgrade to v5.38, no notice to install avast or google toolbar and no installer being downloaded like using slim version

win 8.1 x64

It was a fresh install.

ccv538.png

• Moderators

there are conditions when the embedded offerings (what is it these days, Avast and Chrome, or just Avast now???) won't appear again.

things like if you had already been offered in the past 60 (or was it 90) days, and there are probably others that I have forgotten.

so, in this case, if you were reinstalling, there would have been no offering because you would have been offered on the initial install.
(I think if CC detects a paid-for AV already installed, that's another condition not to see the offering)

of course who knows what Piriform has done regarding conditions with the latest release.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Guest Stephen CCleaner

If an installer offer is eligible to be displayed, it will be displayed (could be Google Chrome, Google Toolbar, Avast Antivirus). In some cases no installer offer will be displayed. This only happens in the Free version of the product. If you don't want to see the offers, your options are:

1. Pay $19.99/year for a product that has been developed and maintained for over a decade, or
  2. Wait 1 week for the Slim version to be released
  3. Get the Portable version

If any offer is eligible to be displayed, that offer is shown on the screen where the Custom button is shown. The screen will not be displayed until the offer content is ready to be displayed. That means it's not possible to click the custom install option without having been shown a screen that contains the offer and a checkbox granting permission for said offered product to be installed.

We do not install anything without giving an option to decline or accept the 3rd-party installation. If you have already accepted installation of a product, you won't be eligible to see that product offer again.

If anyone has had an installation where they 100% were not shown any offer or given a checkbox to opt out, we would like to hear from you as this is not the intended behaviour. In this case, please provide a screenshot and/or details of your Windows system specifications and your Internet Explorer version so we can investigate.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Stephen Piriform said:

If any offer is eligible to be displayed, that offer is shown on the screen where the Custom button is shown. The screen will not be displayed until the offer content is ready to be displayed.

If anyone has had an installation where they 100% were not shown any offer or given a checkbox to opt out, we would like to hear from you as this is not the intended behaviour. In this case, please provide a screenshot and/or details of your Windows system specifications and your Internet Explorer version so we can investigate.

Hi stephen,

Have you read this thread and tried to replicate the testing I did there?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest Stephen CCleaner

I had not seen it. I've replied seeking information from anyone who has experienced this issue and would like to help resolve it.

On 12/21/2017 at 06:07, Stephen Piriform said:

If an installer offer is eligible to be displayed, it will be displayed (could be Google Chrome, Google Toolbar, Avast Antivirus). In some cases no installer offer will be displayed. This only happens in the Free version of the product. If you don't want to see the offers, your options are:

1. Pay $19.99/year for a product that has been developed and maintained for over a decade, or
  2. Wait 1 week for the Slim version to be released
  3. Get the Portable version

If any offer is eligible to be displayed, that offer is shown on the screen where the Custom button is shown. The screen will not be displayed until the offer content is ready to be displayed. That means it's not possible to click the custom install option without having been shown a screen that contains the offer and a checkbox granting permission for said offered product to be installed.

We do not install anything without giving an option to decline or accept the 3rd-party installation. If you have already accepted installation of a product, you won't be eligible to see that product offer again.

I already have a paid subscription. Even though I don't like CCleaner due to its interface and other functionalities, I just have it to help Winapp2.ini, which is my hobby. I use two other known privacy cleaner programs and I am getting a free subscription for helping them. I understand your point-of-view since people are getting your program free-of-cost, you have the right of adding any third-party offer you'd like with your program. But at least tell people beforehand, like other free programs with third-party offers do, instead of sneakily throwing it in there without a warning.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 12/22/2017 at 23:01, SMalik said:

I already have a paid subscription. Even though I don't like CCleaner due to its interface and other functionalities, I just have it to help Winapp2.ini, which is my hobby. I use two other known privacy cleaner programs and I am getting a free subscription for helping them. I understand your point-of-view since people are getting your program free-of-cost, you have the right of adding any third-party offer you'd like with your program. But at least tell people beforehand, like other free programs with third-party offers do, instead of sneakily throwing it in there without a warning.

We do not install anything without user consent. In November we halted distribution of the offer as a direct result of user feedback and we updated the visualisation of said offer to make this consent step clearer.

On 12/21/2017 at 12:07, Stephen Piriform said:

[...] We do not install anything without giving an option to decline or accept the 3rd-party installation. If you have already accepted installation of a product, you won't be eligible to see that product offer again. [...]

If the offer was not displayed but did install, this is not intended it is a bug. We are collecting details of this in this thread so we can fix the issue:

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated CCleaner today (Jan. 16, 2018) and it, AGAIN, installed Avast. I carefully looked through all options, as I remembered that it install Avast the last time without my consent. THERE WAS ZERO INDICATION of Avast installation. ZERO. CCleaner has shredded its reputation.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
1 hour ago, Becho said:

I just updated CCleaner today (Jan. 16, 2018) and it, AGAIN, installed Avast. I carefully looked through all options, as I remembered that it install Avast the last time without my consent. THERE WAS ZERO INDICATION of Avast installation. ZERO. CCleaner has shredded its reputation.

Do you have Windows Defender as your antivirus or do you use MalwareBytes?

I use Windows Defender as my anti virus software and do not have MalwareBytes.  When I updated my CCleaner (which I've been using for years, thank you), it installed Avast! on my computer without any notice, delayed or otherwise.  I would have opted out had I been given a notice, because I like to choose what gets put on my computer. This is the second time CCleaner has done this.  I do hope you've fixed the problem because I'd hate to ditch a good program for bad business practices.

1 hour ago, wscottling said:

I would have opted out had I been given a notice, because I like to choose what gets put on my computer.

Maybe you should use a firewall then, since CCleaner uses an online installer for Avast, it is easily block-able.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, wscottling said:

When I updated my CCleaner (which I've been using for years, thank you), it installed Avast! on my computer without any notice, delayed or otherwise.  I would have opted out had I been given a notice, because I like to choose what gets put on my computer. This is the second time CCleaner has done this.

That's because it hasn't been fixed yet, as per this post it won't be fixed until the next version which is v5.40:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/49301-problem-with-installer-bundle-offer/?do=findComment&comment=292018

• Moderators
5 hours ago, tairikuokami said:

Maybe you should use a firewall then, since CCleaner uses an online installer for Avast, it is easily block-able.

The Avast download and install can also be avoided by installing CCleaner when offline (or Airplane mode I think it's called in newer versions of Windows). Or switch to using CCleaner Portable and avoid the installer.

This happened to me, too, with an installation of CCleaner.   When I noticed the Avast icon on my laptop, I simply went to the control panel and deleted it, after filling out their questionnaire about why I was deleting, etc.   Not a lot of trouble, only took a minute or two.  

Guest Stephen CCleaner
18 hours ago, wscottling said:

Defender as my anti virus software and do not have MalwareBytes.  When I updated my CCleaner (which I've been using for years, thank you), it installed Avast! on my computer without any notice, delayed or otherwise. 

Thank you for the information. We are continuing to investigate.

Can I ask if you grabbed the CCleaner update immediately after a system reboot? Or was this at least 10 minutes after a system reboot? (Same question goes to anyone else who has encountered this problem.)

On 1/16/2018 at 18:22, wscottling said:

I use Windows Defender as my anti virus software and do not have MalwareBytes.  When I updated my CCleaner (which I've been using for years, thank you), it installed Avast! on my computer without any notice, delayed or otherwise.  I would have opted out had I been given a notice, because I like to choose what gets put on my computer. This is the second time CCleaner has done this.  I do hope you've fixed the problem because I'd hate to ditch a good program for bad business practices.

Second time for me too :angry:

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 1/17/2018 at 19:16, ukheather said:

This happened again to me with the newest version!! So annoying!

I installed the update maybe 15 mins after turning on my computer and used the custom install :angry:

Hi ukheather,

Can you tell us if you use Windows Defender or some other antivirus?

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 1/19/2018 at 19:45, tairikuokami said:

The problem probably is, that it is a scripted offer, sometimes it just displayed as a white background, but it is there (hidden).

Let's not get side-tracked. This thread is specifically about the Avast offer, not any Google offer. They work very differently.

I am looking to gather any information about issues with the Avast offer from people who have directly experienced it.

• 2 weeks later...