I need help

Obi

Hello everyone. I used the CCleaner registry fixer to clean the registry of an older laptop. It is not my laptop, but I have a question. Can a folder/s be "innacessible at the moment" because of the registry cleaning? I haven't touched those folders before, so I'm not aware if that's how they always behaved, but they contained important things for the other person. So I wanted to know if it could've been caused by the registry cleaner and if so, is there a fix? Thank you to whoever responds.

• Moderators

sadly @Obi you have blindly deleted registry entries without concern for any consequence.
hard lesson to learn, been there - done that. ;)

you can read the official word by Microsoft why they no longer recommend running such a process here; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

since you have no reg backup, your next throw of the dice is to go back in time using a system Restore Point.
in Win10, click the Start button and just start typing Restore Point, click the top result, Create a Restore Point, then click System Restore.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

in case you are new to Restore Points, don't expect their usage to restore any Word or PDF files.
the hope is that when you go back to a previous Restore Point, access to those specific folders you mentioned will be returned.

The files weren't damaged. Also, I have been notified everything is working fine without a restoration, so I assume it was just that this account on the laptop didn't have access to those folders. Thank you for the help.

• Moderators

phew, all a storm in a tea-cup.:rolleyes: