Unable to find the recovered files

Pinaki

Hi,

I had deleted some video files within different folder by mistake. So i installed Recuva software to recover the files, i created a new folder in C drive to recover the files as the deleted files were in D drive. It took around 25 min to restore the files. After the recover process was done, when i went to the location where i had created the folder(C:/Downloads) for the recovered files, i could not find it. Though C drives displays me the space occupied by the recovered files but under downloads folder i cannot the see the folder i created to restore the files. Now i cant see the recovered files but its using my disk space. Please help me i am unable to understand what went wrong.

• Moderators

Hi Pinaki, and welcome to the forum.

It's always been my understanding that creating folders in the root drive (usually C:) is not recommended, and apparently more recent operating systems actually prevent you from doing that ...

By design and for security reasons, Windows 8 and Windows 7 don't allow users (even Administrators) to save files in the root folder of drive C:\.

Don't know about Win10.

https://www.wintips.org/cannot-save-create-files-on-root-drive-c-in-windows-8-1-windows-7-fix/

You don't mention your OS and you don't mention getting any error message, so maybe they weren't saved at all.

You could try using a free program like WizTree which will scan and show you the exact location of every file on your drive.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/wiztree-v3-0-finds-the-files-and-folders-using-the-most-space-on-your-hard-drive.396428/

Or if feasible, scan again and make a recovery folder somewhere other than the root directory.

Hope that helps.  :)

• Moderators

Don't know about Win10.

Just for info.

My Windows 10, v1709 (FCU) lets me create folders directly in  the OS drive- C:\

(Not that I would normally).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

You can't create files, but you can create a folder in the root directory and put files into that.

Do you (OP) mean that you created a folder called Downloads in the root directory, or a folder within the Downloads folder, which is at C:\Users\Names\Downloads?

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for taking time and replying to my question. Yes, i am using Win 10 and i did not get any error message while recovering the files. Yesterday again when i user Recuva to try to recover my files again i could see the folder i had created bu the name "Recoverrr" in Downloads folder which was in C drive, but when i went o the location there were now such folders Under Downloads. Also i did not find any people complaining about the same in forum.

Whats confusing me is that if the files were not recovered then who is taking the same amount of space in C drive. I tried to find the files trough command prompt but failed. Now my space is blocked in C drive and there is no sign of the files and folders.

Hello Augeas,

Thanx for responding, Yes I had created the folder in Downloads which in C drive. If i go through the software i can see the existence of the folder in Downloads but when i go to Downloads normally then its not displaying.