Latest Windows 10 Pro 64 bit updates killed CCleaner

dwilh

I allowed the latest Windows 10 Pro 64 bit updates to run today, and noticed later that CCleaner was missing from my Desktop. I attempted to reinstall CCleaner, but the Compatibility Assistant  said

"This App can't run on this PC".  Doesn't work on this version of Windows". I'd hate to be without CCleaner after all these years...Will there be a fix?

• Moderators

your version of CC is considered too old by MS standards.

get the latest from here and install it; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Sorry, I should have said that I had the latest version, Professional, 64 bit. Windows update removed it. I was able to reinstall using version 537, as you suggested, but all settings and allowed Cookies were wiped out. Can you block Windows update from removing the app? Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

the only time I've seen Win10 updates effect CC is when it deems CC is too old, Win10 checks that sort of thing now.
(I've seen it with other software as well, Adobe Reader or FlashPlayer or something)

CC v5.27 and older, (or somewhere around there) are no longer deemed safe by MS and automatically blocked when starting.

• 2 months later...

I'm a newbie here, but have been using CC Cleaner for years on all my devices -- luv it!  NOW, I'm trying to install it on a new Dell Inspiron 5567 with Windows 10 Home - 64-bit, BUT get the same phrase as noted in this thread -- "This App can't run on this PC" !!!!  What's UP?!   My wife thought it was time for me to move forward with both a newer laptop and Windows, BUT I'm becoming more and MORE FRUSTRATED with this Windows 10 crap!!!  Is there anyway around this or has Microsoft made it impossible to use CC Cleaner with "their" software -- getting as bad as Apple!!!!   AND I'm NOT an Apple person -- avoided it for things just like this!  I downloaded the latest CC Cleaner today 13 Feb 18, opted for it to "RUN" when finished downloading... and 3 times now I've gotten the same ol' window -- "This App can't run on this PC"!  Thanks!

• Moderators

What build of Windows 10 are you using? There should be no reason why CCleaner shouldn't install on Win 10.

You can find this out by typing winver into the windows search box and clicking on it for the info.

Make sure you get CCleaner from here and make sure you untick any offers at the beginni9ng of the install (such as Avast) if you don't want them

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

• Local time:10:31 AMPosted Today, 10:14 AM

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I too am having this same issue.  I tried to update CCleaner pro and had the above error pop up.  Removed it in control panel and went to re-install from the site, and am blocked from re-installation.  It appears the February windows update is not playing nicely with CCleaner (update KB4074588 - Windows 10, x64).

The error that pops up when trying to re-install: "Error opening file for writing: c:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner.exe  Click abort to stop installation, retry to try again, or ignore to skip this file".

• Moderators

see if this process helps (I know most of it you have already tried).

uninstall your current version first.
then go into the Program Files folder for CC and delete its contents
 (keep the .ini file if you have customised settings)
download the latest build from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
reboot the PC then install CC from your downloaded file.

if no luck, try the install with the PC in Safe Mode.
and try the Slim or Portable builds to see if they work.