Anyone else having problems updating?

vsndesigns

Just tried clicking on 'Check for updates' and said that a new version of CCleaner is available.  I have 5.35.6210 and available is 5.37.6309.  I clicked YES and got the following error message.  CCleaner Update.  CCleaner could not be updated.  Ox2efd:  A connection with the server could be not be established.  Purchase, Register, or Cancel.  That's it for now.  Any questions or suggestions?

• Moderators

Did you buy a pro license and a year has passed?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

13 minutes ago, Nergal said:

Ahhhhh!!!!  That just might be it!  I'm in my settings and I see my name as being registered to for the Professional Edition of CCleaner copyright 2005-2017 Piriform Ltd, but I don't see my purchase date.  Is there somewhere I can find that info?  If it did expire, man....that was a FAST year!

Vic out

• Moderators

CC doesn't store your purchase date, you'll need to go back to the initial email containing your download link and license key for confirmation on the 'fast year'. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 20:11, Nergal said:

I bought the Pro version on 7-11-2013 and have always been able to update, until today. When did the 1 year purchase policy come into play? Do I need to purchase CCleaner Pro again, to be able to update? I was under the impression, when I purchased CCleaner Pro that it was a Lifetime License.

This is what my receipt says:

RECEIPT . Reference number: (required for all inquiries) 47148275 Invoice date: 7/11/2013 Invoice number: AKD-73626921915 .

INVOICE INFORMATION # Product name Delivery Unit price Qty. Price

1 - CCleaner Professional Full feature set, software updates and priority support. Instant online delivery! electronic --- $24.95 $22.45

2 - Defraggler Professional Full feature set, software updates and priority support. Instant online delivery! electronic --- $24.95 $12.45

Total: $34.90

Not one word about a yearly contract. So, what do I do?

• Moderators

As far as I know auto update is one year, like priority support (which definitly is one year).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have been updating since 7-11-2013 which is way beyond a year and have not purchased another license or renewed. I have also updated just this year, until now. Did Piriform have a "grandfather" clause, for those of us who purchased our CCleaner Pro when there was not a one year updating? Many companies will do this, "grandfather" in those who purchased their product when the terms were different. Just for general information Malwarebytes does this, when I purchased their Pro version it was for a lifetime and it is still honored to this day, though now, after 1 year you do need to renew.

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting the message about server connection with the Pro version and it is less than two months old.  I have try re-registering and it takes the authorization code and the window closes so fast I can't see anything it might display.  Doesn't seem to generate any errors but still cannot make the server connection to download the update.

Also, the way the "download" tab is set up, there is no way to just do a new download - you are forced in the purchase dialogs.

Yes, it is very strange that you are getting the same message, as me. Yet, your subscription is less than 2 months old. What is going on with Piriform??? I realize that I was answered by a Moderator, but, in all honesty he/she didn't answer my question, just gave a pat answer. He/she must not have been a Moderator for long or he/she would know that there was NO 1 year subscription when I purchased my CCleaner Pro. Sorry, but that is the truth. In fact, when you look up the FAQ about subscription, there is NO connected date with it, only that it was "updated - today", which could be any day or year.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, MmeMoxie said:

I realize that I was answered by a Moderator, but, in all honesty he/she didn't answer my question, just gave a pat answer. He/she must not have been a Moderator for long or he/she would know that there was NO 1 year subscription when I purchased my CCleaner Pro.

He's not a newbie mod, he's been on here for years and the only information we know as volunteers on the forums is that it's a 1 year subscription, and then if not paying for an additional year when that 1 year subscription has expired some things will become disabled, while others will remain active.

I have owned CCleaner since 7-11-2013 and it has only been very recently that I have been refused an update, unless I "purchase" a renewal, new puchase or whatever that I have never had. Why won't anyone explain this to me. I purchased this Pro version 4 1/2 years ago and have never been refused until the last couple of months. Please, explain then why I got over 4 years worth of updates without ever purchasing a "yearly subscription?"

No, Nergal is not a "newbie mod" but he hasn't been a mod as long as you have been. I may be "new" to these Forums, but I am far from a newbie, either. I have used CCleaner since forever, long before I purchased the Pro version, as well as Deflagger Pro, a very good deal at the time. I simply want to know when the policy changed, that is really not asking too much.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MmeMoxie said:

Please, explain then why I got over 4 years worth of updates without ever purchasing a "yearly subscription?"

I'll point an admin who's a Piriform employee to this topic. Not using the Pro version myself I can't really answer the question because I don't know.

--------------------------------

I do however know for many people they've had update issues, as in they download the installer and for whatever reason it refuses to install, however if they reboot or try to install in Safe Mode it may successfully install.

• Moderators

@MmeMoxie

wouldn't it be weird if, instead of "why have I been getting free updates?", the question gets reversed and "do you owe them 4 years of renewals?".  B)

just my two cents on a funny situation...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@Andavari - Thank you for a sensible response, I truly appreciate it. I appreciate talking with an Admin., who is a Piriform employee. I think, I have a sneaky suspicion but I want to hear it from the "horse's mouth", as they say. Again, thank you.

• Moderators
On 1/23/2018 at 02:31, MmeMoxie said:

bug" was corrected. ?

Probably just got lucky! ;)

Edit:
I just remembered one cause in the past (maybe it still exists) when the Pro version would stop automatically updating could be due to the Root Certificates in Windows needing to be updated from the Microsoft Updates website.

On 1/23/2018 at 00:31, MmeMoxie said:

@vsndesigns - I am glad that the "glitch" has been resolved. It is possible that complains have been made and the "bug" was corrected. ?

I certainly hope so.  I had a similar experience with AVG anti-virus.  I used it for years, if not decades for free, and the moment I purchased it I had nothing but problems.  I bought and used the AVG SpeedUp app and at first I thought it was amazing...until I try to uninstall it.  :(.  I'm glad I'm back on track with CCleaner Pro...but I'm still holding my breath!  ((((and turning blue!!!!)))))) 

• Moderators
On 1/24/2018 at 11:19, vsndesigns said:

I had a similar experience with AVG anti-virus.  I used it for years, if not decades for free, and the moment I purchased it I had nothing but problems.

That's sounds like what happened to me many years ago when I went from using Avira Free Antivirus to the paid version... ...nothing but problems.

What has been so funny, I haven't had any problems with the Pro version until in just the past few months! It has been working wonderfully and still does, but I have always liked to update any of my important programs, when an update comes around. Now, CCleaner isn't an Anti-Virus program, but bugs still occur and need to be corrected or there would be no need for updates, right? I will agree with you both on anti-virus programs. I used both AVG and Avast, before they merged, the free versions, then when I purchased the paid versions. . .All of a sudden, I was getting notices about this program and that one. I will admit, it just about drove me crazy. I purchased what I wanted and didn't want anymore, period. Right now, I am using Bitdefender's paid version and am very pleased. It doesn't take a lot of resources and simply works quietly in the background until it needs to tell you something, that is what I want in an anti-virus/malware program.

What I do love about CCleaner is that it does clean out my registry, temp files and my browser junk. It works and has since their beginning!

Andavari - A thought has been going through my head - Could our issues with updating the Pro version be due to a Windows 10 update??? It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has caused problems with programs/apps. I have noticed that Win 10 like to be "in charge" of security on your PC or Laptop, right? I also, think it just might like to be in charge of everything on your PC or Laptop, including "cleaning it." What is so bad about this, CCleaner has never interfered with Windows 2000 or XP or Vista or 7 or 8 or 8.1 or even with Win 10, so why? Memory time - I still think Windows 2000 was the best and most solid of all the Windows versions. I happen to like using the Pro versions of Windows. XP was the first time I used NTFS and do I love it. I am using Win 10 Pro even now.

I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling my CCleaner Pro, without any anti-virus/malware program running. It may not work but it is worth the try. ???

• Moderators

Usually when Windows 10 all of a sudden doesn't like a program (guess they're called apps nowadays) is to do as you've already stated above; uninstall the program, and then reinstall it - of course making sure you have the newest version that's available as trying to use an outdated version of CCleaner may not go well with Win10.

For awhile Win10 would disable CCleaner, and it would have to be reinstalled. It's the reason I put the portable version of CCleaner on my mother's Win10 laptop back when all that was happening and it never once caused an issue with CCleaner.

• 1 year later...

This third time a new release won't load. It has something to do with the certificate ID  It asks me to repurchase and my subscription is current. I thought it was supposed to be fixed. I'm new to the forum but a long time user and believer in CCleaner. I'm non PC technical and need help. Thanks Ron

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dreamer4276 said:

This third time a new release won't load. It has something to do with the certificate ID  It asks me to repurchase and my subscription is current.

I will point a Piriform employee admin to your post.

19 hours ago, Andavari said:

I will point a Piriform employee admin to your post.

Thanks