DNS flush?

Darth__KEK

I just had an issue where my EBay would not proceed to checkout. I tried on two browsers (Chrome, Explorer on Win 8.1) and I did a CCleaner; so I looked to see if anyone else had experienced this issue. I found the issue, from an Admin CMD   ipconfig /flushdns

Worked beautifully.

Honestly this is the first time I've ever had to do this, I'm not entirely certain what it is, and I don't think I need to - but is a DNS Flush a good potential option for CCleaner?

I wouldn't think so, only you should have access to the command prompt, if a program had access to it I wouldn't trust the program that much anymore.

• Moderators

CCleaner already has the ability to delete DNS Cache although I don't know if it's the same as running a system command like ipconfig /flushdns.

It's located in CCleaner at 'Windows > System > DNS Cache'. Never having used it myself I'd assume you'd probably have to reboot after using it for it to be effective.

Guest Stephen CCleaner

I cannot speak for eBay, but generally speaking you shouldn't really have to flush your DNS to resolve such an issue.

We'll look into the option of adding this, though, as it does have some benefits.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2017 at 20:19, Philip56901 said:

I wouldn't think so, only you should have access to the command prompt, if a program had access to it I wouldn't trust the program that much anymore.

Why not? An elevated program has access to it regardless. Accessing cmd is a great way to bypass writing lots of code and reinventing the wheel. We use FRST to diagnose malware on machines. Before that was OTL.

You already use CCleaner which has access to it. My personal opinion is flushing DNS is taking ccleaner yet again away from its heritage.