hangs at IE history

A.S.

Recent versions of CCleaner (5.37.6309) hang when they get to deleting Internet Explorer history.  Since I don't know the reason for it and I don't use Internet Explorer, is it a favorable solution to simply uncheck Internet Explorer history, or is this necessary for some other programs?  After unchecking it, it doesn't hang like that anymore. 

• Moderators

although IE has a lot of shared libraries with other MS products, the IE History part of CC should only be cleaning the browser history.

have you tried to identify what CC is trying to clean?
do so by right clicking History under Internet Explorer and click Analyse History.
what is shown?

also try and clean the browser data from within IE itself to see if that clears any 'blockage' which then allows CC to complete normally.

what is your Windows version?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I thought I posted this last night but it doesn't seem to have appeared.

I used to have the same problem with ie history hanging for about 12-15 seconds.
As I also never use ie I looked if there was anything else using the history, Right click it and analyse. (Some other Microsoft applications do use some of ie's storage locations).
As the history was never being used I just unchecked it in CCleaner and have left it unchecked ever since.

You can always do a right click manual analyse/clean at any time if you want to be sure that nothing else is storing stuff there.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 5 months later...

Had same problem for many months - tried many things, including taking ownership of the IE folders.

I dont use IE - only use Chrome. Win 7.

But - found something and tried it - and it worked.

Open MSE (and/or whatever antivirus antimalware) - exclude the CCleaner folder, and exclude the CCleaner processes (.exe).

Worked for me.

• Moderators

I think somebody else had reported excluding ("whitelisting") the CCleaner process worked for them with the very slow cleaning of Edge and IE. That exclusion worked on your system, but it might not on a different system.

My solution (above) did not last long !!  2 days later and it started 'locking up' at IE history/cookies/temp files again.

What I have found is that if you deselect history and temp internet files (first 2 under IE) then CCleaner runs fine.  After it has run once then select those 2 again and run, and it goes fine again.  But deselect before exit, as it will lock up again next time.  First run seems to be the problem.

No idea what/why/how - but that has worked for a few days for me.

• Moderators

I don't know how MSE in particular handles making an exclusion to whitelist a folder/process. However some antivirus software will ignore (better stated as not honour) your exclusion(s) if it doesn't have a detection against a file such as an .exe, etc., that it deems infected with a specific malware/virus name which can mean making an exclusion on a non-infected file difficult.

• 4 months later...

Don't feel to bad. It hangs on IE files and cleans firefox files on my pc and I don't even have IE or Firefox installed. I've never been able to figure this out but CCleaner does an awesome job any way. I run it every time I shut down Chrome and follow it up with Glary.

If it ain't broke

Don't blame me.

• 2 months later...

I would really like to understand what's going on here. I didn't have this problem until now: after updating to 5.51.6939 Ccleaner hangs constantly at IE history (and hangs forever, not just for 20/30 seconds as reported). You can kill the process (clicking on "X" at far right) but you cannot Cancel: If you try to cancel, the whole thing hangs ("does not answer") and you must kill it via Task Manager. Looking at the forum, it appears to be a long standing issue: None of the "remedies" indicated in some posts works. I am on win 10, 64 bits, I DO NOT use Internet explorer (using Chrome and Opera), using Kaspersky antivirus. Cleaning IE directly while exiting seems to work. Do we have hope of having this thing fixed? There is a post with a possible solution that I did not understand 

If someone cares to explain, I will try that solution also. Thank you

First , this is not  a solution, is a workaround. Second, I am not talking about  a delay of seconds which would have not bothered me very much: in my case, ccleaner hangs forever (the longest I waited before giving up is over 45 minutes) and must be killed to get rid of it. 

"to periodically clean Internet Explorer's History just right-click upon it in CCleaner to clean it when you deem it necessary.". I don't get this. Right clicking on IE  or IE History   in CCleaner results in the same behavior: ccleaner hangs at IE history. Or you mean that in any case IE history should be bypassed?

• Moderators
14 hours ago, robert21 said:

First , this is not  a solution, is a workaround. Second, I am not talking about  a delay of seconds which would have not bothered me very much: in my case, ccleaner hangs forever (the longest I waited before giving up is over 45 minutes) and must be killed to get rid of it. 

"to periodically clean Internet Explorer's History just right-click upon it in CCleaner to clean it when you deem it necessary.". I don't get this. Right clicking on IE  or IE History   in CCleaner results in the same behavior: ccleaner hangs at IE history. Or you mean that in any case IE history should be bypassed?

That's a duplicate from the other topic. I answered the question in that other topic here:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/53175-ccleaner-pro-551-6939-does-not-clean-edge-or-ie/?do=findComment&comment=302693