Defraggler "error" with normal defrag, not fast option

Pol Gillard

Hello, I am a frequent user of yours products with full satisfaction but this time it goes over a serious issue with "defraggler".
I had 21% fragmentation on my C:\ HDD (1To from which 200Go still available) so I made the fast option that produced a little result only.
I decided to use then the second option "defrag", but unfortunately after a while I got a screen "error" and everything stopped.
I checked the properties of my C:\ HDD and it was almost full with only 20 Gb free !!!
Please help, what can I do ??
Thanks in advance to all those who will be so kind to help me,
Pol

• Moderators

g'day Pol and welcome,

first, let's check some settings in DF.
go to Settings, Options, Advanced tab, check Stop VSS is not ticked.
tick Use Custom fragmentation settings and click the Define button, in there, tick both options.

as to now only having 20GB free, try a reboot of the PC to see if that helps.
failing that, try the following.
go to Control Panel (change View by to icons), System, System Protection, Configure button, set Max Usage to 1% and hit Delete, then OK.
now you're back on the previous windows, click Create to make a new Restore Point (since we just blew all the others away)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

- Run Antibody's WizTree. It will tell you what the size all the folders on your HD have. Including that folder called "System Volume Information" which contains the System Restore Points.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Thank you for both your replies !

I am not sure I understand completely the manipulations described...

If I understand well, the VSS function being disabled should prevent to keep a copy of all the files being deffraged ?

Is there a way to identify the recuperation files created by defraggler or are they just an additional restoration point in windows ?

To recover space could I simply delete all files of the existing "restore points" of windows and then recreate manually a new "restore point" via windows ?

Thank you for continuing guiding me to the right solution...

Pol

• Moderators

see the last 2 lines in my post above on how to delete all current restore points and create a new one.

and I made a mistake in that post, make sure Stop VSS is ticked. (sorry about that)

• Moderators

please keep us in the loop in your endeavours.:)

- Sometimes deleting all System Restore Points (SRP) won't help. Then one has to switch off the "System Restore point" feature in Windows and switch it on again. Only that way one can free up all disk space. Although I wouldn't recommend to do that in the first instance.

- Yes, the combination of DEFRAGGLER and VSS (used for making SRPs) can lead to some unpredictable results. As you have seen. DEFRAGGLER seems to - somehow - trigger the VSS subsystem in Windows. It also has been reported that DEFRAGGLER deletes SRPs.

- Although I also know that when one's HD gets filled too much, Windows will automatically delete one or more SRPs.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Thank you to all of you who helped me with the issue I had to resolve.

Following your relevant advices, I succeeded in recovering the unnecessary used space while full defraggling my hard disk, it's now ok !

Thanks again to you all !

I wish you a very good day  :o)