Can not install the newest version

Joseph29

Guest Stephen CCleaner
2 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

I am trying to install the newest CCleaner version (5.37.6309). I keep get the following error.

error opening file for writing

c:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner64.exe

I using Windows 10. How come I am getting this error?

Hi Joseph29,

This is an issue that we are actively investigating. Would you be able to provide a DxDiag file to help us in our investigation? This file helps us understand which version of Windows you have and which Windows updates you have installed, among other things.

To generate a DxDiag file:

1. Press the Windows key, type 'dxdiag' and then press the Enter key to run the DirectX Diagnostic tool
  2. If the tool asks you about checking for driver signing, select Yes
  3. Leave the tool for a few minutes
  4. When it finishes its checks, select Save All Information...
  5. Save the file to the desktop, and then attach it here (if you prefer, you can send the file to me via a direct message)

I also got the same message as Joseph29 when responding to an update message. The update not only wouldn't install but I can no longer access the CC Pro already installed. What really fried my mind was there was now an 850 mg. antivirus program call Avast installed on my machine. I uninstalled it but I still have the 850mg. file. When I try to delete it I get a "file open" message. How do I get my Cleaner back and get rid of 850 megs of crap I don't want?

• Moderators

@DuffyD

try this;

uninstall your current version first.
then go into the Program Files folder for CC and delete its contents (keep the .ini file if you have customised settings).
download the latest build from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
reboot the PC
install CC from your downloaded file.

if no luck, try the install with the PC in Safe Mode.

once installed, check your license (Options > About), if it hasn't kept it, plug in your key again to make it Pro.

as to the 850MB Avast file (that sound way too big), after your next reboot, that file should be able to be deleted.
and when you do reinstall CC, make note of what options are pre-ticked, the embedded Avast offering is, so untick that if you don't want it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Have uninstalled CCleaner. The program file still contains CCleaner.ex, CCleaner64.ex, and CCuUpdate. I am signed in as administrator but when I try to delete the files I get a message telling me I can't delete because I'm not the administrator.  As to the Avast files, I did reboot and still have 885megs.

• Moderators

reboot the PC into Safe Mode and see if those CC and Avast files will delete then.

if not, try an over-the-top reinstall of CC while in Safe Mode.

Thank you. I have been able to get 5.37 pro installed, and the Avast files removed. Now, however, I can't get the new Pro to take my registration key. I seem to be getting dumber by the hour. I didn't use the safe mode as I'm not sure how. I used a go-back to a week ago. For some reason the go-back failed but after it failed I was still able to delete the a fore mentioned files. I seem to keep getting things done by doing the wrong things but I'm out of ideas on the registration key. I will not tell you my age but the first computer I worked on was an IBM 1401.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DuffyD said:

the first computer I worked on was an IBM 1401.

ha-haa, that's a big give-away, ya 'ol timer.
mine was a Unisys 1100, so you beat me by quite a few generations (of mainframes that is, not age) :D

in case you ever need to, simplest way into Safe Mode is to hold down the Shift key as you click Restart.  (assuming you have Windows 10)

now to your Reg key, what is the error message?
and just checking, you are getting there via Options > About> License button, and you are supplying the correct Name and Key as supplied in the original email from Piriform?
(obviously don't tell us your Name or Key here - I mean you're old but you're not stupid.;))

• Moderators

@Joseph29

if you want to try the above suggestion as well, (in the 4th post of this thread) it may help you install CC while you wait for @Stephen Piriform

• Moderators

thanks for the update Joseph.

11 hours ago, Sid Piriform said:

@DuffyD Can you submit a Support ticket and let me know once you've done that? We can then get a new key generated for you and see if this solves the issue. 

I don"t know what a support ticket is. The only thing I have is a conformation e-mail that has several links but they all lead back to this forum. The e-mail has a 5 digit  user I.D. and a 32 digit validation code.

15 hours ago, mta said:

obviously don't tell us your Name or Key here - I mean you're old but you're not stupid.;))

I'm feeling kind of stupid, about now. Once I find out what a support ticket is, hopefully Sid can get me going. I did use the option button to pull up the registration gizmo. My validation code is 32 digits and won't fit the gizmo.

Never used a Unisys 1100. Did do some programing in Fortran 2 & 4. Went slightly crazy trying to program a Commador 16. Gave up and became a truck driver. Figuring out this windows 10 is like trying to find a punch set in a 24 drawer tool box.

• Moderators

you could try this link to get the key resent to your emails; https://www.piriform.com/support/license-lookup

or the support ticket can be raised from here; https://piriform.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

29 minutes ago, mta said:

you could try this link to get the key resent to your emails; https://www.piriform.com/support/license-lookup

or the support ticket can be raised from here; https://piriform.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you very much for your invaluable help. The first link worked like a Swiss watch. I am going to be very careful about any further upgrades. Speaking of which, Firefox, now wants me to upgrade. Well here I go again. 

On a personal note: While in the Navy in "64" we did a world cruise and stopped in Melbourne. it was the most friendly place I have ever been, although Wellington,N.Z. runs a very close second. Thank you again for your help and courtesy.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
23 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded the new version again just now and it installed fine this time.

Thanks for the update @Joseph29

Please can you confirm the following:

1. Which anti-malware or antivirus software you have installed on your machine
  2. Which version of Windows you are running
  3. Where you downloaded CCleaner from (e.g. from Piriform.com, through the in-app update notification, or perhaps via FileHippo or Download.com, or another third-party website)

Any information will help us address this issue for other users. Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hey guys, an update on this:

The Good News: we have reproduced this internally and are working on a fix. :)

The Bad News: the fix won't make the cut-off date for the December release, so it will have to wait until the January release.

The issue can be worked around by restarting the PC (or force-closing the installer and CC instance, if you're technically-inclined), and then running the latest installer file afresh.

The problem happens because a dialogue message is open in CCleaner and is blocking the command from the installer to close down the existing version of CCleaner so the new version can be installed safely.

On 11/15/2017 at 22:27, DuffyD said:

the first computer I worked on was an IBM 1401.

My first was an RCA 301.  Then RCA 501, followed by the Spectra 70.  The good old days when one computer filled a large room.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

2 hours ago, nikki605 said:

My first was an RCA 301.  Then RCA 501, followed by the Spectra 70.  The good old days when one computer filled a large room.

I tip my hat to the old man. I, like a fool, walked away from computers because they didn't do what I dreamed they should. (To much SiFi as a kid.) I didn't get interested again until they could draw a straight vertical line. 3ds Max was the dream come true.

P.S. I used to pick up OJ at the Tropicana plant in Tampa.

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 11/30/2017 at 16:59, Stephen Piriform said:

Hey guys, an update on this:

The Good News: we have reproduced this internally and are working on a fix. :)

The Bad News: the fix won't make the cut-off date for the December release, so it will have to wait until the January release.

The issue can be worked around by restarting the PC (or force-closing the installer and CC instance, if you're technically-inclined), and then running the latest installer file afresh.

The problem happens because a dialogue message is open in CCleaner and is blocking the command from the installer to close down the existing version of CCleaner so the new version can be installed safely.

The Superlative News: Our support team, developers and testers have got together and agreed that we can incorporate the fix into the current release test cycle. We are aiming to release this on Tuesday 12th December.