Jump to content
CCleaner Community Forums
nukecad

New forum look.

Recommended Posts

Well, my cell phone is rotting my brain, my router is broadcasting signals that destroy cress seeds, and now these vast white expanses are ruining my vision. 

Other than that, everything is just fine.  FINE I'm tellin' ya, JUST FINE.  :lol:

About those cress seeds, see here:

http://ofthebox.org/wifi-experiment-done-group-9th-grade-students-got-serious-international-attention/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there's no date and time on posts, just n hours ago. If I know I last visited the forum at 10.30 last night, it would be, and was, easy to just look back at posts with a later time. Now I have to work out whether n hours ago <> current time + (24 - (convert last logon time to 24 hrs)).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, login123 said:

Well, my cell phone is rotting my brain,
 

I just filled in, yesterday, the 2017 questionaire of a long term Imperial College study into the health effects of mobile phone use.
http://www.ukcosmos.org/Participants?open=WhatIsCosmos#StudyPanelParticipants

I had wondered why this questionaire now included a section on wifi usage as well as the phone use.

Sorry, but you can't join the study now - it's been ongoing since 2009 and should finish in 2021.

PS. That cress experiment was carried out by 15 y/o school girls, and while the results were interesting the experimental conditions were not very rigorous.
Made a great scare story for some elements of the popular press though.

The suggestion by scientists interviewed about the research is that routers give out heat, and this probably dried out the cress in the rooms with the routers in, so equivalent water was not enough for them.

(Honest mum I've not been on Facebook all night, it's the wifi signal that's stopping me sleeping).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Augeas said:

 If I know I last visited the forum at 10.30 last night, it would be, and was, easy to just look back at posts with a later time. Now I have to work out whether n hours ago <> current time + (24 - (convert last logon time to 24 hrs)).

I just use the 'Unread Content' button, and set the time period to 'Since my last visit'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having problems with the Advanced Search.

The search will not let me filter results for content made by a particular user. (Searching for one of my own old posts).

So I search just for the term used by any user,
The user I'm looking for (me) is not on page 1 of the results,
So I click for page 2..... and get flood control. ("Please wait ## seconds before attempting another search).
Which means back to the start again.

But then it seems to extend the flood timer interval and so you have to wait even longer before making a new search or trying to change the results page.

It's making the search virtually unusable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, login123 said:

Well, my cell phone is rotting my brain . . .

I know, I know, it wasn't peer reviewed, might not have controlled all the variables, etc., but . . . it's my best excuse and I'm sticking to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nukecad said:

I'm having problems with the Advanced Search.

The search will not let me filter results for content made by a particular user. (Searching for one of my own old posts).

So I search just for the term used by any user,
The user I'm looking for (me) is not on page 1 of the results,
So I click for page 2..... and get flood control. ("Please wait ## seconds before attempting another search).
Which means back to the start again.

But then it seems to extend the flood timer interval and so you have to wait even longer before making a new search or trying to change the results page.

It's making the search virtually unusable.

Okay, first click on search icon only (the magnifying glass thingy top right of page) then enter the word and then enter author nameSee in this screenie where I selected hazelnut as author, and Palemoon as word. Then scroll down slightly to press to search

  

Screenshot (3).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Hazel,

 

I had overlooked that '+search by author' button and was looking in the selections below.

 

I'm still having an issue with the flood control when trying to change the results page, looks like it's set at 15 seconds for a page change.

I guess I'll just have to slow down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just done a test and I can click on page after page of search results for posts by me with the word 'version' in them.

There is a very, very slight delay (turning arrow) of about one second between load of each page that's all.

Could it be browser related for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Augeas said:

And there's no date and time on posts, just n hours ago. If I know I last visited the forum at 10.30 last night, it would be, and was, easy to just look back at posts with a later time. Now I have to work out whether n hours ago <> current time + (24 - (convert last logon time to 24 hrs)).

I hadn't even noticed that, but yeah it's another caveat. I did however find out that if you mouse over the time it will then display the actual date+time that humans are used to seeing which should be by default in my opinion.

Looks like the admins need to configure the forum software allot based upon user suggestions, that is if they do or even have the time to fiddle with this rather disappointing version upgrade I meant downgrade.

Screenshot:

HighlightPostedTimeToGetFullDateTimePopup.png

Edited by Andavari
screenshot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i take an unlike :ph34r: for this new design

 

the blue design is not really better as the piriform green B) only the head-thing is a little better in blue but not really

 

ps: they have stolen me some of my posts ;-) i mean i had somewhat over 1400 of this... was there a black hole during the up(down)grade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Just done a test and I can click on page after page of search results for posts by me with the word 'version' in them.

There is a very, very slight delay (turning arrow) of about one second between load of each page that's all.

Could it be browser related for you?

I've checked on Malwarbytes which has the same version of IPB (4.2.5) and that's fine if a bit slow to change page, I'm only getting the flood control on here, so it would seem to be site related and not a browser problem.

It's happening when changing pages in the search results if the current page has been up for less than 15 seconds.

Note that despite the warning text this is not a new search, just a page change for the current search results.

Below is a screenshot of what I am seeing if I try to change page quickly, (obviously I tried to change that one within a second of it opening up).

 

I've just done a google of the error code and it does seem to be an IPBv4 setting/problem, it's been reported for various forums that had updated their version to v4.

It also appears that the timer setting for flood control can be set differently for different usergroups, so probably you are not seeing this flood control because you are in the moderator group?

flood.thumb.jpg.2caaed5e6ca5ae0e248a7aa7f6016ec9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any way of changing the mouse-over time to UK format (i.e. dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it should honour the Regions setting on the PC, but doesn't, mine set to English (Australia) and nothing gets one's goat up more than a non-US citizen seeing a US formatted date, it's simply backwards.  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- My signature is gone !!!!!! The new forum look/format doesn't support that any more. (sob, sob, sob ).

- And my avatar is (somewhat) "disfigured". A part of the ear of "Felix the cat" in my avatar has been truncated/cut off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Willy2 said:

- My signature is gone !!!!!! The new forum look/format doesn't support that any more. (sob, sob, sob )..

Wait so now I actually need to type out my registry advice...boo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all sigs are gone and the feature disbaled, guessing it wasn't implemented in the new forum version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Willy2 said:

- And my avatar is (somewhat) "disfigured". A part of the ear of "Felix the cat" in my avatar has been truncated/cut off.

Probably because it has changed to the round style. If you have your avatar stored on your computer perhaps resize it and re-upload it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Andavari said:

Probably because it has changed to the round style. If you have your avatar stored on your computer perhaps resize it and re-upload it.

I just figured it got into a fight. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of  attachments I cannot delete.  With this new forum software there is no longer a little check box by each attachment, which in the past allowed you to delete several at a time. 

One shows in My Attachments as AvastUpdates1.jpg.  It shows up as attached to a PM to a member named Griswold. As I recall, that PM was deleted a few months ago.  There is now no member named Griswold, I think (s)he was deleted a few months ago also. 

Another shows up In September Desktops.  Forum software assigns it the name "post-9581-0-64548300-1505123540.jpg" . The September Desktops Topic is closed now, so I cannot delete that attachment either. 

So it seems that if a topic or a PM is closed, the attachments are undeletable, and count against the member's quota.  Will that not eventually exhaust the members quota?  If that situation is permanent, I'll have to be more careful about where i attach an image. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, just found out that before logging in, the forum shows me on line when I'm not.  I did remember to log out.  Did so twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that has happened to me, logged out but still showed me as online, and hitting F5 (or was it Ctrl+F5), anyway either 'little' refresh or 'big hammer' refresh fixed it.

or was yours a 'first time' browser login?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×