CCleaner STILL incorrectly identifying laptop drive as SSD - 5.36.6278

caconym

Is anyone in the dev team reading through these bugs?

Another upgrade and STILL CCleaner is incorrectly identifying my laptop 2.5" drives as SSD when THEY AREN'T!

So I'm still using 5.29! Every time I upgrade, test the new release, uninstall, re-install 5.29 - it was working then, so you changed something and broke it! Release after release and the same problem remains.

Please get this issue fixed.

• Moderators

if you do a search on the forum, you'll see CC and DF have been reported for years that they falsely identify SSD's as HDD's and vice-versa.

and it's a lottery as to which version of either program that then get it's right only to lose it again with the next release.

the last word from the Admins, and this is a good 6 months ago, is that the DEV team were working on a manual override switch but like the many posts highlighting the bug, nothing has come of it.

luckily for me the SSD/HDD identification is not an issue as I do my SSD maintenance manually and don't use CC for drive or free space wiping..

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

I still feel that this has something to do with NSA or other security agencies prohibiting companies like Pirform from marketing products that effectively wipe drives, as this would be

an increased cost for a particular agency to attempt to recover the data. I use the older version to wipe my drive, and the newer version to clean out junk. Just install in two different

folders.

• Moderators

I think that the answer is far more mundane, more likely Piriform's code which identifies the type of disk is flaky.

A better 'conspiracy' against users is why Piriform, and the majority of other cleaning software, offers multiple overwrites, the efficacy of which has been debunked for aome twenty years or more.

Oh yes, all versions of CC recognise all of my 2.5" disks, laptop and PC, as HDD, which is what they are.

And yes, I do know why Piriform include the useless multiple overwrites, if they don't then less enlightened users will pick software that does.

• 1 year later...

"A better 'conspiracy' against users is why Piriform, and the majority of other cleaning software, offers multiple overwrites, the efficacy of which has been debunked for aome twenty years or more."

It's not a conspiracy against users. It's a concession to the large number of government and corporate customers who still believe that you need 35 overwrites.