Ccleaner runs... only once ("Windows cannot access..." alert)

satch59

Hello,

I've been using CCleaner for a long time, but I've got problems with it during last month.

I've got the software installed in C:\Program Files\CCleaner. They are visible here. But as I try to run the program, I got "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file" alert. I checked the folder permisions, but they are ok. On file permission both System and Admin are set as "full controll". BTW, I've got access to CCUpdate and uninst exe files, so it seems, that only "Ccleaner.exe" and "Ccleaner64.exe" are blocked. I cannot run debug via console.

As CCleaner had some security problems in September, I thought, that maybe it is blocked by my antivirus (Avast), but the files are blocked, even if I turn off the Avast. I also don't get any antyvirus alerts during my attempts.

What is interesting, is that I can reinstall CCleaner and it works, but only once. If I want to open it once more, I got the alert...

Did anybody had similar problems with CC? Are there any other steps, I can try?

Thank you.

---

Edit: CC version is 5.36.6278, but it started with earlier ones. Running on Windows 10.

• Moderators

Windows and CC versions?

uninstall your current version.
then go into the Program Files folder for CC and delete its contents (keep the .ini file if you have customised settings).
download the latest build from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
reboot the PC
install CC from your downloaded file.

if no luck, try the install with the PC in Safe Mode.
and try the Slim or Portable builds to see if they work.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Oh, sorry. I forgot to write the most important information - the issue doesn't depend on CC version - I reinstalled it a couple of times and cleared all data (the software works only once after each install) - now it's 5.36.6278, but the problem started some time ago. Running on win 10.

I am not able to download the current portable version from Piriform website (it's redirecting to homepage instead of starting download process), but I've found a bit older version somewhere else and it's working fine.

Hello - I am having the same problem as Satch59 above, and has been occurring with the last couple versions. I try reinstalling (Windows 10), but it only works once, and there is a different icon on desktop than before. Clicking on the icon now there just gives me the "Windows cannot access..." error message.

You recommend the portable version above, but what does "portable" mean in this instance? Should I try this as well? https://www.piriform...ccleaner/builds

perhaps shows the using of portable version if this runs well,  something is wrong with the installed version or perhaps w10 make changes on ccleaner

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Hello,

I've been using CCleaner for a long time, but I've got problems with it during last month.

I've got the software installed in C:\Program Files\CCleaner. They are visible here. But as I try to run the program, I got "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file" alert. I checked the folder permisions, but they are ok. On file permission both System and Admin are set as "full controll". BTW, I've got access to CCUpdate and uninst exe files, so it seems, that only "Ccleaner.exe" and "Ccleaner64.exe" are blocked. I cannot run debug via console.

As CCleaner had some security problems in September, I thought, that maybe it is blocked by my antivirus (Avast), but the files are blocked, even if I turn off the Avast. I also don't get any antyvirus alerts during my attempts.

What is interesting, is that I can reinstall CCleaner and it works, but only once. If I want to open it once more, I got the alert...

Did anybody had similar problems with CC? Are there any other steps, I can try?

Thank you.

---

Edit: CC version is 5.36.6278, but it started with earlier ones. Running on Windows 10.

Hi satch59

The following instructions that CCleaner support gave me fixed that problem for me:

'This seems to be an issue with the recent Windows update. 

As a work around can you try the following: 

Open Explorer and go to c:\Program Files\

Right click on CCleaner folder, select Properties

Click on Security Tab, then Advanced button.

In the Advanced Security Settings window click on Change permissions button.

Check the box labeled, Replace all Child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object.

Click Apply button

Then click OK button.'

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...