windows installation tool deleted all my external hard drive

Njubi

What do i need to do? please help, I bought the full version of Recuva but there are windows files now on hard and it is in fap 32, I have lost more than 1TB data of 2 TB HDD, i don't know what to do in this moment and i don't want to destroy all!!!

• Moderators

let's start with supplying a lot more details. :)

what version of Windows?

what is this 'windows installation tool'?

so your PC is working fine, it's data on an external drive that is lost?

lost how, what happened?

what is fap 32?

also, don't forget, since you own the Professional version, one advantage is direct, priority support from Piriform.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi, ok so the story goes like this, I wanted to install fresh Windows 10 on my comp, there was an option for USB installation and it was asking for 8 GB of space, so I was thinking it is ok to put it on my external hard disk.

When installation was done a very cold shower waited for me, I have discovered that my external hard disk is not anymore 2 TB it is now in file system FAT32 (sorry for fap) and size is only 32gb, then I bought your program and tried to restore my hard drive with deep scan and restore option but I'm still getting only windows installation.

So the question is what i need to do with this options in Recuva to get my data back?

• Moderators

It's gone I'm afraid.

Windows has reformatted the disc to FAT32 and 32gb, totally wiping out your old data.

They do warn you on the Media Creation page, that any data on the drive will be deleted , they warn you twice in fact.

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

• An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
  • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
  • A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
  • When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.

and lower down:

1. Select which media you want to use:
    • USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.
    • ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD. For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

yeah I wasn't reading... idiot  :unsure: anyway tnx for trying to assist me....

Wait I have another thing now soo I have installed windows on new SSD disk and I have formatted this old WD 500 GB disk where was windows and pictures can I restore at least that one??? now is empty and clean can i just press deep scan and restore??

• Moderators

I may have been hasty there.

It may be possible to recover data from a reformatted drive.

But it's not a simple task and should be done by an 'expert'.

I'm not one so will butt out after two more comments.

Obviously the more you use the drive the less chance there will be of recovery.

Beware of programmes that say they can do this 'easily', if it goes wrong you could lose your only chance.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Ok thank you I will wait for some help from expert here disk is still clean I'm scared to do it alone. it says on the program that can recover formatted disk, just want to know what I need to do with him on the correct way