Piriform Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fullmetal

Defraggler take too long

Hi all I am first time using defraggler. My laptop is only used 3 months it . I recently decided to Defrag with defraggler software for the first time defrag and it's took too long. My Hardrive is partition to c and d. My c drive is only 99gb and d is 360gb.yesterday I Defrag c it took long and I have work to do with pc so I cancle it. Today I have free time and Defrag d drive it say 6%fragments and It took over 8 hours to finish it. Is this normal. I am afraid of of Defrag of disk c. C have 25%fragments. How long can total take to Defrag c25%fragments. My laptop spec are i76700hq, ram 12gb ddr3l, WD 500gb 5400rpm,gtx950m window 10 64bit.

check in Settings, Options, Advanced, that you have Stop VSS ticked and click the Define button and tick both options ion there.

also, the main point behind running any defrag process is to remove (or at least reduce) the amount of file fragmentation.

with modern drives, there is little gained in reorganising where files live on the drive, so most of what DF does is overkill.

let DF analyse your drive then go to the File List tab, sort the Size column by descending order, select the top 100 or all the files greater than 50K (whatever rocks your boat), right click those and select Defrag Highlighted.

when done, repeat for the Fragments column.

this way you pick the worst offenders, get the most benefit and have expanded the least effort (both in your time and the drives wear and tear).

I did as you said to disk c and than it fast and stop around 67%and said this file can't move defragment abort. When I analyze again it's around 23% fragments only 2%fragments reduced. Yesterday I Defrag my drive d and restart my computer my c drive space become low from 12gb to 6 gb I deleted some files and it low again from 6gb to 4gb.today I opened pc drive c become 4gb to 11gb. I thought my drive is something worg after defragment. Before defragment my drive don't have like this. Aftert Defrag my drive d benchmark said 1.5mbs.i tried to copying something to drive d and the write speed is also around 30mbs.before Defrag it's up to 80mbs.is defraging make my hdd worse? Do I really need to Defrag disk c after defraging disk d. If I don't Defrag c what is consequences. Both c and d are same drive with partition.

What operating system are you using? I only ask because OSes like Win10 automatically defragment on there own, so it isn't a manual process you have to worry about using other defrag software.

Changes I made to reduce Defraggler run time from more than a day to less than 6 hours for 1TB on Windows 7 

Defrag was super slow prior to doing this.  

Go to Settings > Options > Advanced tab

Check - Save all settings to INI file

Check - Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS volume

Check - Use custom fragmention settings:  - click Define button - check box on both options: Exclude restore point, and, Exclude hibernation file.

On 10/20/2017 at 22:09, spiritsoul said:

Changes I made to reduce Defraggler run time from more than a day to less than 6 hours for 1TB on Windows 7 

Defrag was super slow prior to doing this.  

Go to Settings > Options > Advanced tab

Check - Save all settings to INI file

Check - Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS volume

Check - Use custom fragmention settings:  - click Define button - check box on both options: Exclude restore point, and, Exclude hibernation file.

Thanks! That fixed it for me as well! I thought that 24 hours for defragging a 2TB disk was a bit long =)