Having a problem with CCleaner not clearing Chrome

czed

I have Windows10 64-bit on my laptop, and CCleaner Free v5.35.6210 (64-bit).

Yesterday, Windows10 updated itself.  Since then CCleaner isn't cleaning Chrome.  Despite closing all browsers, apps and only having CCleaner open, when I click Run Cleaner, it cleans up to the 62% mark and then a pop-up window appears saying 'Google Chrome needs to be closed to clean the Internet Cache. Do you want CCleaner to close Google Chrome?'.  I click Yes, it tries to clean Chrome, then another pop-up appears saying it's taking too long and do I want to force it to close, again I click Yes, and it tries to close Chrome in a never-ending attempt till I kill it with the Cancel button.  Google Chrome Internet Cache, Internet History, Cookies, Download History, Last Download Location, and Session are always skipped.

I have read several other similar topics and have followed advice given such as unchecking 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed' in Advanced Settings in the browser, unchecking Internet History under Chrome in CCleaner and clearing the History in the browser first before running CCleaner, I have even uninstalled CCleaner and reinstalled from the website, all of which have made no difference whatsoever.  In Task Manager, under Processes, only CCleaner and Task Manager are listed, no Chrome.exe.  I don't have Avast.  I have never signed into a Google account when using Chrome - I don't even remember if I have a Google account or not as I never use one.  I have used CCleaner Free for many years and use it every time before closing down my laptop, without problem... till yesterday's Windows10 update.

I'm not sure what else to try.

• Moderators

check you have the latest Chrome in case that helps.

and in Task Manager, instead of the Processes tab, check the Details tab for any other chrome.exe

also try running CC with the PC in Safe Mode and see if that cleans Chrome.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

It worked!  Running CCleaner in Safe Mode did the trick.  Thank you so much!

I did find 5 x chrome.exe under the Details tab of the Task Manager before going into Safe Mode, and none after.  CCleaner is working as it should now.

Thank you so much for all your help.  :)

• Moderators

so now when you run CC from normal mode it runs to completion?

After I last posted, I started my laptop in Normal Mode, spent a while on Chrome, ran CCleaner before shutting down and it worked perfectly fine, to completion.  I switched off my laptop, came back online a couple of hours later but this time found that the problem had returned with CCleaner.  So, via Safe Mode I ran CCleaner, cleared Chrome, went offline and ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender Advanced Full Scan, both of which I had updated yesterday.  Both found zero threats.  So now back in Normal Mode online, visiting my usual haunts and hangouts in Chrome, I closed the browser, ran CCleaner and it worked as normal, as it should, to completion.  I did this twice and both times it worked just fine.  So I am assuming now that whatever the problem was, it has been resolved, but I shall keep a close eye on it and shall let you know if it starts happening again, hopefully it won't.  :)

Forgot to say: when I close Chrome now, there are no chrome.exe in Details in the Task Manager. 

• Moderators

sounds positive, but yes, keep up the feedback thanks.

I spoke too soon.  It behaved itself for a few hours after I last posted but then the same problem started once more, and has been like that since, so back to square one.  I now have to go into Safe Mode to clear Chrome before shutting down laptop.

Just as a point, when I first open Chrome, in the Task Manager Under Details I note around 10 x chrome.exe appear.  I don't know if this is normal, that there should be so many, or whether there ought to be just the one, I don't know.  What I do know is that after I have been online for over an hour and close down the browser, in Details it shows at least two chrome.exe still running (sometimes more) but when I try to End Task by right clicking on them, I get a pop-up saying Access Denied.  They usually show having Memory in excess of 30,000 K.

Andavari - not when I first open Chrome as there is only the one window/tab open, and yet in the Task Manager it's showing as 10+ chrome.exe, and that's before I have even done anything online.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I see a few others are experiencing the same with CCleaner not clearing Chrome so it'll be interesting to see what the Developers find.  I have patience...   :)

Thanks for your help.