Any guarantee about the safety of the software now?

Siegfried.M

I used CCleaner for years, and I was happy, but when the "bad things" happened a few weeks ago, I immediately uninstalled it.

Now, can any member of the staff, guarantee that is completely safe now?

And how can I decide if I want to install 32 bit or 64 bit version? Does the system automatically choose the more appropriate version in the moment of setup?

The thing with backdoors and vulnerabilities is that they can come in surprises. They are made on accident and requires lots of research to determine where they are happening from. I don't think they can "guarantee" that there isn't anymore holes. No software can, not just CCleaner.

64-bit has slightly better protection and much better memory management.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

Does the system automatically choose the more appropriate version in the moment of setup?

i remember me darkly, you can only install ccleaner completely with 32 bit and 64 bit together and when you use it, ccleaner will take the choice what kind of os you have and starting ccleaner.exe or ccleaner64.exe.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

So, it's still not 100% safe

Nothing is, driving for example. But these attackers had 600,000+ computers they could infect, the chose only 20 (at various large businesses) so they could steal from them. They'd have to be pretty stupid to try to infect ccleaner again (with all the scrutiny), they may have already stolen what they wanted (or not) if they attack again it will be in a new an surprising way, maybe similar maybe not.

Want a safety net? Wait 4 months after you download something to install it (and scan it before you do). As long as the program has no critical security updates this will give other a chance to check things out first. Of course this doesn't work when a program has a critical security update...

• Moderators

no-one will ever say anything is 100% safe, they simply can't due to litigation.

is it as safe as humanly possible to use? - Yes.

is there any known reason why you shouldn't use it? - No.

if you cannot bring yourself to trust something - don't use it.

when you run its replacement, what steps have you taken to prove its worthiness?

which would be trusted more, software you have never tried or software that has just come out the other side of a security breach?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.