contradictory info on smart

mauricev

I have a drive where Speccy gives a SMART Warning, but every individual value is marked as good.

However, when I run HDSCan, it reports a yellow exclamation for the following (the numbers correspond to Speccy's numerical columns. the first value, the real value and the last value being the raw value)

05 Reallocation Sector Count 161, 238, 237, 63, A1

C4 Reallocation Event Count 2, 251, 251, 0, 2 

Uncorrectable Errors Count.1, 252, 252, 0, 1

Here is a screenshot, https://ibb.co/bsWDJw

I have a drive where Speccy gives a SMART Warning, but every individual value is marked as good.

However, when I run HDSCan, it reports a yellow exclamation for the following (the numbers correspond to Speccy's numerical columns. the first value, the real value and the last value being the raw value)

05 Reallocation Sector Count 161, 238, 237, 63, A1

C4 Reallocation Event Count 2, 251, 251, 0, 2 

Uncorrectable Errors Count.1, 252, 252, 0, 1

Here is a screenshot, https://ibb.co/bsWDJw

I wouldn't trust that drive, get your data backed up.

It lost 161 sectors (which may or may not have contained something important) and replaced them with spares.

There's one sector it can't read right now (not replaced with a spare).

And there were (or are) 6 sectors that not only it can't read, it can't even figure out where they are located on the disk surface.

This drive should have failed a SMART self test in the past (if one was ever run by the user), and should still fail even now (it will start passing if it reallocates some bad sectors, but that's no reason to start trusting the drive again).

The drive has not exceeded the smart thresholds so it's not saying "I've failed" yet. Most bad drives actually fail before they reach that stage. (or are so bad as to be unusable and NEVER reach the stage where they call themselves 'bad')