Last FF bookmarks and history are gone after cleaning

ttb

After using CCleaner Firefox latest added bookmarks, history and favicons are gone. Checkbox "Internet history" in Applications — Firefox is turning off!

For example,

add bookmark/history —> close FF —> clean with CC —> no new entries;

add bookmark/history —> close FF —> open FF —> close FF —> clean with CC —> everything fine.

Firefox 55.0.3 (x86), CCleaner 5.35.6210.

OMG now Firefox 56.0 crashes after cleaning.

Close FF —> clean with CC —> crash and "Restore Session" after start;

close FF —> open FF —> close FF —> clean with CC —> everything fine.

Any solutions?

Any solutions?

Same problem here :unsure:

• Moderators

Any solutions?

If you mean that FF56 is opening (or trying to open) with 'restore tabs from last session' (sometimes with an 'oops this is embarassing' message) instead of opening to your homepage, then yes its something Mozilla have changed in FF56.

I've found that unchecking Firefox 'session' in CCleaner cures the problem.

To be a bit more technical its one of 2 files that FF56 is now putting in your profile folder that CCleaner deletes.

(Just do an Analyze on 'session' to see them).

I've not checked out which one yet (because unticking 'session' works) but another option would be to work out which file it is and make it an exclusion.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I've narrowed it down futher now.

The culprit is-
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profilename}\sessionCheckpoints.json

Deleting this file causes FF56 to open with 'restore tabs' rather than opening with your homepage, no matter what your FF setting is.

It looks like FF56 is now storing your startup preference in this file instead of where it was stored in earlier versions.

(So if the file is not there it reverts to the default 'restore tabs').

You could make this file an exception in CCleaner rather than unticking Firefox 'sessions' in the cleaner.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Yep that exclusion works for me which is why I posted it.

Expect even more changes when FF57 (quantum) is rolled out to everyone.

It will be a PITA for a while as people catch up with the major changes they are making.

I've narrowed it down futher now.

The culprit is-

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profilename}\sessionCheckpoints.json

Deleting this file causes FF56 to open with 'restore tabs' rather than opening with your homepage, no matter what your FF setting is.

It looks like FF56 is now storing your startup preference in this file instead of where it was stored in earlier versions.

(So if the file is not there it reverts to the default 'restore tabs').

You could make this file an exception in CCleaner rather than unticking Firefox 'sessions' in the cleaner.

Running CCleaner on 2 machines.  Experiencing the some of same things on one machine and some on the other.  History is gone on one machine.  Favorites tabs are gone.  Bookmarks are gone on one machine. 

Exploring the FF session shows 6 folders that will not clean.  The address is similar to the one posted above, but not exactly. 

Could someone give me step by step instructions?...and do it as if explaining it to a computer illiterate, which I am. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The new CC version, v5.36.6278, has fixed this now so you should be able remove the exclusion (and tick 'sessions' again).

I have removed the exclusion that I put on, and FF still opens to my homepage rather than 'restore tabs' after cleaning.