Piriform Community Forums
siliconman01

RAPR- DriverStore Explorer 0.8.4.2 Released

I've just discovered this program for the first time elsewhere, was about to post about it here after freeing up 5gb of space on my drive with it! Why is this program not more widely known?! (or perhaps, why doesn't Windows periodically free up this space itself). Great little program :)

What is the appeal of using it? And does it have the potential of breaking something, or bricking the Windows installation?

9 hours ago, Andavari said:

What is the appeal of using it? And does it have the potential of breaking something, or bricking the Windows installation?

I use it mainly to delete old nVidia driver stuff after each driver update, which uses up a load of space over time. Other stuff it lists, at least on my laptop, is barely worth bothering with.

While I have allot in the folder I'm hardly using any space on my boot SSD, so I'll pass on using it, however should I also start updating display drivers (which I currently don't) I'll give it a try.

On 2/22/2019 at 08:17, Andavari said:

So far it has worked great for providing an easy method of deleting old drivers from the DriverStore folder.  Several driver updaters do not remove the previous driver when a new version is installed....which is pretty much standard so you can rollback to the previous version if necessary.  You have to ensure that the new driver is working okay before using RAPR.  Like JDPower, the largest driver reclaim is the 700+ mbyte driver packages of Nvidia.   If you try to delete a driver that is in use, RAPR will block you from deleting that driver.  

Be careful about update Nvidia GPU drivers because Nvidia has been making major modifications to encapsulate their new RTX graphics cards.  And this is causing a lot of problems for many users.  For example, I am stuck at V417.71 on my systems with the 700 and 900 series cards because any version above that randomly crashes or hangs in memory.  

RAPR.png

Good to know, got burned by Nvidia drivers causing issues multiple times on the old WinXP computer (years ago) through two different display cards. Since I don't game at all on this Win10 laptop and never will I really have no need for wanting their newest driver.