Boot time defrag takes up space?

Arenaboy007

• Moderators

Just guessing, but I remember once that a boot time defrag concacetated my pagefile from two 'blocks' into one contiguous block, to do this it needed to allocate an extra cluster to the pagefile reserved discspace.

No more actual data, just the pagefile reserving a bit more disc space for itself.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

- It could be caused by something else. e.g.:

1) Windows making a new system restore point.

2) Windows increasing the size of the pagefile. Or any of the

3) Any other piece of software updating itself.

4) ..........................

5) Or a combination of the above.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Just guessing, but I remember once that a boot time defrag concacetated my pagefile from two 'blocks' into one contiguous block, to do this it needed to allocate an extra cluster to the pagefile reserved discspace.

No more actual data, just the pagefile reserving a bit more disc space for itself.

How do I reduce or remove this?

- It could be caused by something else. e.g.:

1) Windows making a new system restore point.

2) Windows increasing the size of the pagefile. Or any of the

3) Any other piece of software updating itself.

4) ..........................

5) Or a combination of the above.

I turned off system restore, and checked to make sure it didn't create a restore point. System was fully updated when I ran boot time defrag, so I don't think it's going to eat up 6GB for updates. Have you tried boot time defrag?

• Moderators

How do I reduce or remove this?

The pagefile is usually set by default in Windows to be the same size, or slightly larger than, your RAM.

The pagefile can be moved to a different drive, it's (automatically) allocated size can be changed, you can even get rid of it and run without a pagefile at all.

None of these actions are recommended, and they can (will) affect the performance of your computer. (Unless you have a very large RAM).

With 969 GB free you are not exactly short of disc space, I would leave the pagefile alone and let Windows manage it.

Put it in context - that 6 GB you are talking about is 0.62% of your free space, that's negligible.

If you insist on playing with your pagefile then a Google search will find instructions for your particular windows version.

TBH though if you did not know about this already then I would still say leave it alone, you can affect how your computer runs for the sake of what is a negligible bit of your disc space that you are probably not going to use anyway even if you did free it up.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043