Custom Files and Folders [Include] not working V5.33.6162

bobjbkln

Running CCleaner 5.33.6162 on Windows 7 Home premium (64 bit).  After upgrading to V5.33, CCleaner no longer removes the files I have in the Include option.  The Custom Files and Folders box is checked.  I even unchecked it, rebooted, rechecked it and rebooted again.  I removed and added back the Included list. It still didn't work.  The debug log shows a line for OnRuleStarted | 3004 | 3129 | Custom Folders and  OnRuleFinished | 3004 | 3129 | Custom Folders (with nothing in between) but the Included files are not removed like they were in previous versions.

--

BobJ

• Moderators

What folders?

CCleaner has some sort of built-in protection that won't allow some things to be cleaned by Custom Files and Folders - although it doesn't make sense that your Includes would work before v5.33 and now don't work and I haven't experienced that myself. One thing is make sure CCleaner is being ran with Admin privileges.

The Included files are simply pdf files in my downloads folder: C:\Users\bobj\Downloads\*.pdf .  It's always worked before and, in any case, there's no reason why these files would be protected.  I tried running explicitly with Admin privileges, no difference.  Has anyone tried to reproduce this problem (create a test file, add it to Include and run ccleaner).  Does it work for you?

--

bobj

• Moderators

Hi bobj,

My current includes were working. (Windows 10 Home 64-bit, v1703, Build 15063.540) (CCleaner Free, v5.33.6162).

But I gave this a go for you:
Copied a few pdf's to Downloads.
Made an include of- C:\Users\myname\Downloads\*.pdf
Ran cleaner(debug mode) and it removed them with no problem.
The debug log shows them being removed.

Suggestions:

Did you select "Only delete files or folders older than:" when you made the inclusion. (You can edit it to check).

Do your pdf filenames contain any unusual characters that could throw off the wildcard matching?

Can you manually delete these files? (If not then you may not have 'Ownership', even as Admin).

Finally,

You could try uninstalling/reinstalling CCleaner.

(Save your .ini file elsewhere before uninstalling to keep your customisations).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you so much for checking.  But it seems that there is a difference between ccleaner on Windows 10 and Windows 7.   As to your other questions,  I have no problem manually deleting the files.  In fact, I have created a .bat file with the command del C:\Users\bobj\Downloads\*.pdf and running it removes the desired files.  So the problem is not that.  Note that the .ini file does list the files to delete, it's just that CCleaner does not remove them.  In the meantime I will use the .bat file (I only mentioned the .Pdf extension, but I have files with two other extensions–*.ofx and *.qfx– that I have in the Included list and the .bat file removes all 3.)  I would hope that future version of ccleaner will fix the problem.

• Moderators

That does sound like something different between Win7 and Win10 then.

Although I do note you didn't mention checking the 'Only delete files older than:' in the Include dialogue.

(That would also be saved in the .ini which would override any changed settings unless you save a new one? Might be worth making sure it's not selected and then save a new .ini? Although you may already have 'save all settings to ini' selected. Your call).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have a Win7 Pro x64 laptop and tested v5.33 as you described.  I added C:\Users\[username]\Downloads\*.pdf to the Include Options and copied several .pdf files to that folder.  I ran CCleaner and the .pdf were all deleted.  I ran the test a second time with different .pdf files and it deleted those as well.  The 'Only delete files older than:' option box was not checked.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

@nukecad

Sorry for the omission.  The 'Only delete files older than:' option box is not checked.  I tried setting up the Include both using the File radio button (C:\Users\bobj\Downloads\*.pdf) and the Folders radio button choosing (C:\Users\bobj\Downloads and *.pdf as the file type.  Both do not work

@nikki605

Thanks.  Must be something strange on my system.

New information: I tried inserting a specific filename in the include list and CC did remove that file only (as expected).  It seems that only the wildcard (*) does not work.  (It does work with the .bat file).  Very weird.

Thanks for the help.  It's working now., although it took a sort of virtual "chicken dance" to achieve it.  This is what worked:  First I set up the include using the File radio button for each of the three extensions that I wanted to remove.  While these were still listed, I readded the Includes using the Folders radio button, separately for each extension.  The latter action did not visibly change the include list.  Only the same three items showed with no changes.  But when I ran the Cleaner, the files were removed.  So it's functionning now and I know what to try if the next update also disables it.   Again thanks: nikki605, nukecad, and Andavari for your help.

--

BobJ

• Moderators

I've found that while you can input things for Custom Files and Folders to clean via the CCleaner GUI it sometimes won't work, even for files and locations it logically shouldn't have a protection scheme against.

That's why if something doesn't work I manually edit CCleaner.ini - in CCleaner you'll have to have Save All Settings To .INI File selected to do that though.