Windows 10 App Store Updates - "Name Not Available"

Noesis

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this or knows what it is ?

Essentially when updating the win 10 app store apps, one of the entries was for an app called "Name Not Available" - which I paused and cancelled before it completed the download.  FYI, I don't really use store apps, so it's not related to some app I've downloaded, other than the default apps MS includes with windows (which I do keep updated), assuming it's legit and not the result of some kind of infection (which I'm currently checking for).

Seems to be fairly recent, and has happened with both mobiles and desktops, I've found 3 posts that seem to relate directly to this, none of which have any answers posted (except one which has a followup question posted) and all the posts were started in the last 24 hours.

The posts I've found for those interested:

• Moderators

Just a really, really wild guess here, perhaps something went wrong for an app dev or microsoft in the renaming area of the app store.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/manage-app-names

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the guess, hazelnut, I disagree about it being a "really, really wild guess", as I reckon it's a pretty logical one and is probably the most likely cause.  Oh well, not a huge deal, I can just ignore it for now.

• Moderators

as you say, not a big deal, but bloody curious though. :)

you could just let it download and see what it does, after all, we trust things in the MS Store don't we (as much as anything these days)?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

You're not wrong about the curiosity thing, I'd love to know what the hell it actually is.

With regard to letting it download, yeah I could do that...  But I'm not going to.  It's only partly trust (which I don't btw ;)), it's also a matter of why would I want to update it when I don't know what it is, and how do I use it when I don't know what to launch, not to mention how would I remove it if something did go wrong.  It's actually kind of moronic that an app's dev would intentionally do this whether it's legit or not.

• 5 weeks later...

Well seems this was an update for the "Store experience host". Never did fix itself, I eventually updated it since I found out you can view what the store did by running Reliability Monitor afterwards. Meaning I could at least find out what it was, after doing it, which at least gave me a chance to be able to get rid of it, should I have needed to.

It wouldn't surprise me if next I find out it was updated with the September updates, and I've actually rolled it back, I do trust MS with regard to letting something like that happen ;)