Ccleaner will not install

I've tried every tip on this forum and it will not install on my pc. I have the latest windows updates as far as I know and I'm running windows 7 pro 64bit. I had the old version and it worked fine but wouldn't update. I uninstalled the old version now it will not install the new one. This is very frustrating as my "disk cleanup" application on this computer does absolutely nothing. I've tried deleting and downloading the installer file again and again and the zip file the admins "offered" just leads me back to the download main screen. I keep getting the following error: Error opening file for writing: 0/ccleaner.exe

post-79701-0-96273300-1502800647_thumb.png

• Moderators

Have you made sure that every bit of the uninstalled old CCleaner is gone?

Look in C\Program Files and make sure it isn't still there.

What does the Window behind the error message say?

Yes there seems to be an issue with the download of the portable zip file of build 5.33. I will flag it up to admins.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Have you made sure that every bit of the uninstalled old CCleaner is gone?

Look in C\Program Files and make sure it isn't still there.

What does the Window behind the error message say?

Yes there seems to be an issue with the download of the portable zip file of build 5.33. I will flag it up to admins.

Yes, all instances of ccleaner are gone, I've even gone through my registry file and deleted the files there as well. The error message says "Error opening file for writing: 0/ccleaner.exe"

• Moderators

HI Jeannejeannie,

You should realy have started your own thread.

Yours is a different issue altogether.

You have Windows 10-S, which is a cut down "student" version of Windows 10 Pro.

It is mainly meant for use in schools but you can buy it for home use.

It will only let you install programmes (apps) from the Windows Store.

Read more here-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-s

These FAQ's explain the differences-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq

Please start a new thread if you have further questions about this.

(It's not polite to jump in on someone elses question).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Yes, all instances of ccleaner are gone, I've even gone through my registry file and deleted the files there as well. The error message says "Error opening file for writing: 0/ccleaner.exe"

See here

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46763

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've tried every tip on this forum and it will not install on my pc. I have the latest windows updates as far as I know and I'm running windows 7 pro 64bit. I had the old version and it worked fine but wouldn't update. I uninstalled the old version now it will not install the new one. This is very frustrating as my "disk cleanup" application on this computer does absolutely nothing. I've tried deleting and downloading the installer file again and again and the zip file the admins "offered" just leads me back to the download main screen. I keep getting the following error: Error opening file for writing: 0/ccleaner.exe

I tried the recent trick of uninstalling the older version, and then looked to delete the files in the CCleaner folder....

But no program folder was to be found after the uninstall this time. Tried the Update file again and I still got the same Abort, etc message.

So, I restored my hard drive to where it was before the uninstall.  One more time I tried installing the Update and got the same " Abort, Retry, Ignore."  

This time... I figured..."What the hey!?   I'll use restore if it mesess up!" ... So I clicked Ignore.

Guess what?   It installed without a problem. 

First time user of the forum, but long time user of CCleaner. (Since before the name was shortened!)

I am on Windows 10 (Creators) x64 with the latest updates (OS 15063.540)

CCleaner v5.32.6129

Used the "Update available" button and this has resulted in a fail like everyone else.

The installation was at the "Extract: CCleaner.exe" stage.

I have tried the "Ignore" option like #Genez, mine too stated it had installed succesfully, but when opened I was offered the option to update to 5.33 again. So hitting "Ignore" DOESN'T cure the issue - at least not for me!

I suppose the question is .... is 5.32 PREVENTING installation of the new update - or is 5.33 FAILING to update?

Clearly one for the techies at Piriform - I will happily continue using 5.32 until "33" gets sorted - because the one thing I didn't want to do is uninstall a version that DOES still work!

Looking forward to a fix soon!

The Flat Earth Society has members all over the globe!

• Moderators

if you try the usual "uninstall, reboot, reinstall" method, it seems to help most of the time.

if you need to get a previous version, they are available from FileHippo. 

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

First time user of the forum, but long time user of CCleaner. (Since before the name was shortened!)

I am on Windows 10 (Creators) x64 with the latest updates (OS 15063.540)

CCleaner v5.32.6129

Used the "Update available" button and this has resulted in a fail like everyone else.

The installation was at the "Extract: CCleaner.exe" stage.

I have tried the "Ignore" option like #Genez, mine too stated it had installed succesfully, but when opened I was offered the option to update to 5.33 again. So hitting "Ignore" DOESN'T cure the issue - at least not for me!

I suppose the question is .... is 5.32 PREVENTING installation of the new update - or is 5.33 FAILING to update?

Clearly one for the techies at Piriform - I will happily continue using 5.32 until "33" gets sorted - because the one thing I didn't want to do is uninstall a version that DOES still work!

Looking forward to a fix soon!

well now I'm getting the same error when I try to install older versions as well. It's a shame that they can't get the bugs worked out before releasing a new version considering this one clearly messed up my entire process. @hazelnut, I tried to follow the article in that forum post but there is no ccleaner file in my program files anymore. When the last instance uninstalled, it deleted EVERYTHING ccleaner related. I guess I'll just have to clean everything manually daily or stop using my main computer until a new update comes out that fixes this problem

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem.  Have been using CCleaner for years.  I cannot update to 533.  The problem comes at Extract files.  I get Abort, Retry or something else.  Nothing works.  It says the file is corrupt.  I am using Windows 10 Creators.

• Moderators

and what have you tried to fix the issue?

have you attempted this possible solution?

uninstall your current version first.
then go into the Program Files folder for CC and delete its contents (keep the .ini file if you have customised settings).
download the latest build from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
reboot the PC
install CC from your downloaded file.

if no luck, try the install with the PC in Safe Mode.

if still no luck, try the Slim or Portable builds.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 5 months later...