CCleaner tries to change Browser setting

I am using Free version 5.32.6129 (64bit) on windows 10, with Comodo security and when I try to run CCleaner, I get the warning that it is trying to change my browser setting to Mozilla Firefox. I use Opera as my browser.

I do get the option from Comodo to stop the change, but can find no reference to this online. Any suggestions

Screenshot attached

post-79561-0-20708400-1501001213_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

g'day grandad,

you can either untick the Last Download Location from the Firefox list of options to stop future warnings,  or allow it to 'clean' that location, which I believe is what Comodo is trying to warn you about - "Hey, someone is changing your Download history in Firefox".  That way Comodo should stop future warnings.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here with CCleaner Professional,..warning window appears from Comodo that CCleaner is attempting to change my Browser settings,..to Comodo Ice Dragon,..i don't have Comodo Ice Dragon,..i use Firefox?,..anyway,.. why would CCleaner try change my Browser settings,..or need to?,..the solution at present is i have disabled CCleaner,..purchased it,..however to disable is safer.

• Moderators

can you show a screenshot?

does the message only pop up when running CC?

anything in post #2 help?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Same issue, running Comodo, Ccleaner, and Firefox. I just got Comodo two days ago and started getting that warning when I run CCleaner. I said no the first few times, then I tried yes to see what would happen. So far as I can tell, nothing happened. Looks to me like you must say yes in order to clean your history and downloads history. The Cleaner's progress bar doesn't move until it gets permission from Comodo. BTW: in Firefox, "compact databases" is already unchecked.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a serious problem. When Comodo warns you that an app (especially one with a freeware or shareware pedigree) is trying to change your browser settings, users do pay attention. Because in the past some vendors (eg divx player) have refused to behave honourably in this regard, pushing malware onto users systems which can be very difficult to remove. Piriform must sort this out with Comodo or there will be reputational damage for Piriform.

• 2 years later...