Defraggler freezes when selecting a drive from the list while running a defrag

vmsh

Hello,

As already outlined in the title, Defraggler permanently freezes when I select a drive from the list while defragging a different drive.
I did this while trying to defrag two drives at the same time (I'm not sure this is possible - I was just experimenting).

I can consistently reproduce the bug with the following steps:

• Open Defraggler
  • Click on D: drive
  • Click on "Defrag"
  • Click on V: drive

After doing this Defraggler freezes and never comes back. Task Manager still shows 100% D: drive utilization, so I'm guessing the defragmentation still continues in the background even when the GUI is frozen.

My Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qsZqu2nT2TjHTNYFpOnspV1

• Moderators

what is you OS and DF version?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

when I open DF, click on D:\ drive, click Defrag, it starts doing its thing.

the Defrag button is then greyed out and cannot be clicked.

so for you, you can still select other drives and the Defrag button is available?

I confirm that after clicking Defrag on the D: disk the button is grayed out.

I cannot see whether the Defrag button button is grayed out or not for the other drives, as when I select any other drive from the list the program freezes before the GUI is redrawn.

• Moderators

I can't repeat the issue you describe.

After I start defragging one drive, the GUI allows me to pick any other of my drives, albeit, I can't actually start another defrag process on any of them as the Defrag button is not available.

But I can go back to the initial drive selected, check its progress, and continue clicking other options in DF happily.

• 1 year later...

Got the same Issue.

Windows 10 & latest Defraggler.

I started defragging my HDD, then clicked on another drive and it froze.

Now I cant see the progress it makes or cancel it. Very annoying.

Seems like this wasnt a problem in earlier versions.... might switch back then

Seems like delivering Crappy / worse updates is becoming a trend recently

Just created this account so I can let you know this is still an Error.

• 1 year later...

same Issue here.

Windows 8.1 pro & latest Defraggler just download it from site.

i have more than 6 HDD and i when i start 1 of them i click on the next one and it froze.

and now i'm not sure what to do?

i do not want to end the program and harm my HDD!

Task Manager still shows 100% active on my HDD

• Moderators

If your HDD uses the NTFS file system "in theory end-tasking Defraggler using Task Manager shouldn't harm your data" since in the background it's using the Microsoft Defrag API.

3 hours ago, Andavari said:

If your HDD uses the NTFS file system "in theory end-tasking Defraggler using Task Manager shouldn't harm your data" since in the background it's using the Microsoft Defrag API.

thanks for replying so fast i appreciate it.

i think the defraggler did his job after one day of running (the HDD is 1 TB)  i did not shutdown anything just kept watching the task manager and now i see that there is no activity on my HDD so i think it's safe to end the task from task manager (the Defraggler is still not responding) 

maybe i'll wait more i don't have to do anything right now but i don't think that i will use Defraggler again if it's not fixed.

7 minutes ago, Andavari said:

Windows 10 in particular can be finicky with some old 3rd party defrag tools with large capacity HDDs (1TB or bigger).

my OS is (Windows 8.1 pro) and i have HDDs with capacity more than 1 TB like one is 8 TB and there is more but i only try one HDD.

but i have defrag most of my HDDs before from windows and i can do more than one at the same time but it take a lot of time at the 1st time i did them and i will go back to windows for now.

• 7 months later...

I signed up to say that I have the very similar or same issue, latest version 2.22 just downloaded from the website, Windows 7x64. I started Defragmentation on D:, it was working fine, after a while I wanted to try to start additional defragmentation on another drive, clicked on it, the GUI switched to that drive but after several seconds stopped responding, I couldn't switch back to D:, as well as click on anything else, the window's just not responding (AppHangB1). But the Task manager shows that Defraggler64.exe still uses CPU and a lot of RAM and the usage changes over time which probably indicates that it's still working? Currently about an hour in this state.
Can I safely stop the defragmentation somehow?

Edited by Trueman

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Trueman said:

Can I safely stop the defragmentation somehow?

Just click on the 'Stop' button and defraggler will stop safely.

TBH with TB drives a full defrag/consolidation is going to take a long time, and is usually not necessary.

Do a files only defrag instead,
See these for an explanation of the two diffrent defrag types, and a step-by step of how to do a files only defrag:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/58715-deffragler-dosnt-complite-the-defragmatation/?tab=comments#comment-321773

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59792-need-3rd-option-besides-quick-defrag-and-defrag/?tab=comments#comment-326076

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043