The future of TVs/monitors?

ROCKNROLL

So, HDMI 2.1 is coming in the future, which is targeting 10K at 120hz through display stream compression, with possible 16-bit color, HDR/dynamic HDR, as well as Game mode VRR for tvs, which is similar to g-sync/freesync. I personally don't think it is worth going beyond 10K. I plan on getting a 10K myself, but not anytime soon. Maybe when like 144hz+ 10K tvs with a 1ms response and +16-bit color support are a thing, I will get one. It also looks like HDMI is taking the high-end road again as 2.1 is targeting 48gb/s bandwidth, while display port 1.5/2.0/next version is only targeting 40gb/s. It also seems like monitors will be a thing of the past, too. I mean if tvs are getting all this good stuff, who needs monitors anymore. You can watch tv and game on tvs now.

I mean, I highly doubt they will only just keep increasing frame rates, color bits and resolution when it seems like all that is reaching it's max points. I assume they will come out with more eye candy stuff, similar to HDR.

What are your opinions? Do you think it is worth going beyond 10K or going beyond 144hz or going beyond 16bit colors? What do you think tv companies have planned to sell future tvs?

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators

who needs monitors anymore. You can watch tv and game on tvs now.

But this is just what we used to do in the 'olden days'.

Hardly anybody bought a monitor for home use.

Your Spectrum/Commodore Amiga/Atari ST computer, (or your games console),all had a built in modulator so you could plug them straight into your TV aerial socket.

(Monitors were available for the Amiga and the ST, I had a monochrome monitor for my STFM, but you had to buy them seperately and a colour monitor often cost more than the computer itself).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

10K talk already?

Kind of makes me think I'll just wait a bit longer and not even bother with a 4K TV since it will likely be outdated as soon as I'd buy one or within one to two years. Then again if waiting as I plan to do may make 4K more affordable or cheap for the masses if something higher end exists - but good luck getting any over the air TV services that go over 1080p HD (which already look very compressed in certain dark or black scenes).

Also having a good enough Internet connection in the U.S.A. (which is behind the EU) to even stream something above 1080p HD reliably will be interesting - especially over Wi-Fi for example gaming consoles such as a PS4 that don't allow you to adjust any caching parameters such as; download for 60 seconds then start playback, or download 300MB then start playback. Unless services start but probably reluctantly or more likely impossible due to DMCA and allow large cache saving to storage medium to download big chucks of data allot of people may be disappointed. A large cache could allow viewing without further degradation, or a forever spinning loading icon (which seems so 2010 or earlier) or worse in my opinion when an HD stream in particular 1080p HD starts out at an abysmal looking highly compressed standard definition resolution (perhaps 240p SD or 360p SD) for several seconds up to a minute or so (here's looking at you Amazon Prime).

Most people are still on 1080p HD, however 4K is the big talk with gaming consoles PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Then again why bother with a TV if someone has a PC that can do everything.

Well, the FCC wants to make 100mbps a standard by 2020, so I don't think it will be much of a issue. Also, ISPs can sell user data now, so they can make higher speeds more affordable or even make free internet, since they have a alternative making money method. Spectrum has already made 60mbps a standard with their internet and that can handle 8K 60fps streaming.

Anyways, 2020 is a good year to upgrade your gear. A lot of new stuff will be releasing around there: HBM 3.0, GDDR6, AM5 platform, PCI-E 5.0, and by the time, HDMI 2.2/3.0 will be out, which will probably double the bandwidth again, probably allowing 10K at 180hz.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity