Nothing Working After Running Registry Cleaner

int_

Recently I ran the registry cleaner and everything was fine until I restarted my computer. The start up was extremely slow and when it finally opened the desktop all hell broke loose. It took about 10 whole minutes for all the icons on my computer to load. When I tried to click on anything like a folder or browser, it wouldn't open. The start menu also didn't open, nor the search bar or settings. After a couple of minutes a window pops up saying "Microsoft windows is not responding" and asks me to either end it or cancel. Whichever I click never made any difference because it still wouldn't respond. I tried restarting the computer a couple of times but every I time I did the same would happen. I tried looking up my problem online but I couldn't find anything similar. All the solutions always say to do something in the command prompt or the settings but I can't access neither. The only thing I can access is the advanced start up repair after turning my computer on and off three times. I did the start up repair and waited 19 hours for it finish. The repair didn't do anything, everything was still the same. I also came across a solution with completely reinstalling windows with it's usb but I don't have it.

My windows had the new windows 10 creators update. I didn't manually install it and I had it for around a month before this happened so I don't think it's the cause of this.

I'm aware that i will probably have to kiss my computer good bye and buy another one but before that I want to try and see if there is any way I can fix it.

• Moderators

any chance you still have the .reg file backup from the registry cleaning process?

if yes, try to restore that into the registry - but it sounds like a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

I'd be getting back into the Advanced Startup Options menu and trying a System Restore.

if that doesn't fix it, you are most likely going to have to choose between a "reset Windows keeping my files" or a "reset Windows from scratch".

and in future, don't clean the registry - at all.  there is simply no reason and no benefit to do so.

but if you are still inclined, do it it some chunks and always have a backup regime in place.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

You don't need to buy a new PC you can just download the tool to create the installation media and do a fresh install.

See the second option here for more info about what to do when you have downloaded the tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Read in particular from here......

Using the tool to create installation media:

• Select Download tool now[/size] and select Run[/size]. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
  • If you agree to the licence terms, select Accept[/size].
  • On the What do you want to do?[/size] page, select Create installation media for another PC[/size] and then select Next[/size].
  • Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you’ll choose

(Your licence key is already saved on the Microsoft servers so your new install will get activated automatically)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Users on other Forums are reporting,

CCleaner Registry cleaning, ruins the Registry, requiring a clean Fresh Install of Windows.

CCleaner is not the trouble maker, its Microsoft & Windows 10 having more Spying files linked to basic actions.

When CCleaner touches Registry, Microsoft code sets trouble to ON, ruining your Windows 10 version.

Also another Windows app, is also messing up Windows 10, requiring a clean Fresh Install of Windows 10. 

I'm sure all other Software apps touching Registry, will require a clean Fresh Install of Windows 10. Don't risk it.

Mod's please alert Piriform to immediately remove the Registry cleaner,

and issue a new version ASAP.

• Moderators

@uuu the problem isn't that ccleaner's registry is dangerous, now as opposed to past, it's that you're using it wrong. Please take time to read my signature, in it is golden advice for registry cleaning, in ccleaner or any other reg cleaner. This advice has kept me bug free windows xp and all windows through windows 10

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have not used CCleaner's Registry option, and will not attempt any risk, with the changes Microsoft has made. 

I also am stopping use of other Software, users have stated result in reinstalls. (One report of an Anti Virus) 

In addition I am staying away from other Software, coming in touch with the registry, until I can read their release notes, stating Creators Update removed options resulting in reinstall.

The problem people are having is with Redstone 2 Creators Update Build 15063, Official Released April 11 2017.

Currently there is an option under Update History. Good News! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on the way, want to be one of the first to get it?

Eventually the Creators Update will be forced.

Piriform, needs to make adjustments, in reaction to Microsoft's Creators Update.

They can test, isolate & find which checkmarks will result in a complete reinstalls. Those should be removed in reaction to Windows Spying/Creators Update changes.

No reason to have those faults, now that they result in a complete re install. 

@uuu the problem isn't that ccleaner's registry is dangerous, now as opposed to past, it's that you're using it wrong. Please take time to read my signature, in it is golden advice for registry cleaning, in ccleaner or any other reg cleaner. This advice has kept me bug free windows xp and all windows through windows 10

+1

Any registry editor can wreck your computer, not just recent ones and not just recent operating systems. 

The easiest way I know to think of it is this:  If you don't know exactly what a change will do, don't make the change. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Another thing to avoid is using the Windows.old cleaner built into CCleaner (and possibly other 3rd party cleaning tools), it has been shown to damage something resulting in the need to reinstall Win10 but nothing has been done to fix the issue even though it has been reported multiple times.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!  I am now totally confused.  I downloaded ccsetup531 onto my newly built computer, but after reading this I think I'll just delete it and will not bother to install it at all. EVER!!

I don't have a clue or any understanding of what I've read here this past half hour but it sure doesn't leave me with confidence in CCleaner.  I'm more worried now than I was before I downloaded it. It sounds like if you run the wrong thing in CCleaner you can cause all sorts of issues with the computer.

Glad I came here before installing it.  Thanks for the heads up and I think I'll just leave CCleaner right where I found it.

Hi, Griz.  :)

There is a some benefit to cleaning out window's leftover junk.

Ccleaner is a good cleaner software, but like any other it must be used carefully. 

Read about how it works, take your time, and use it in little bits.

Make backups, etc, whenever prompted.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I don't have a clue or any understanding of what I've read here .... 

It sounds like if you run the wrong thing in CCleaner you can cause all sorts of issues with the computer.

This is the the nub of the issue, I would say in all cases of a registry cleaner corrupting a system it's because the user did not know how to use it properly.

(And did not know what it actually does - and more importantly what it doesn't do).

Think of a chainsaw, a nail gun, or even a JCB/backhoe.

• They are designed for, and should be used for, a particular job.
  • They are often used to do jobs they were never intended for, instead of using the correct tool.
  • Anybody can buy, hire, or otherwise get one.
  • You can often get away with using the tool without realy knowing how to use it correctly.
  • If you don't know what you are doing then you are eventually going to cause serious damage, and usually it's the the first time you use it.

Just like with any other tool, don't use any registry cleaner unless you know what you are doing.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043