Bug report: Incorrect up-time

jkmlee

I am using CCleaner for Android v1.19.76 and my phone is running Android 7.0 (HTC 10). I notice that the up-time reported under System Info in CCleaner is always much shorter than expected. For example, currently it is showing 6:18:15 although the last time I rebooted the phone was about 12 hours ago. On the other hand, the uptime command in Termux (the popular terminal emulator app for Android) returns 11:50 which should be correct.

Is CCleaner obtaining the up-time from the OS directly, or is it keeping track of it with some kind of timer? The latter may be problematic if the battery-saving features of newer Android versions interfere.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi jkmlee, and welcome to the forum.

Does the uptime actually kick off from 0:00 when you reboot?

Although I'm running Android 5.1, I've just rebooted as a test and I'll check it out tomorrow to see how accurately it's running.

If it is accurate, I'll point out your issue to the devs as it may be the updated OS doing something different which could be addressed with a future update.

Hope that helps.

:)

Hi DennisD, thanks for the welcome.

I rebooted my phone and checked the up-time in CCleaner as soon as I could and it was showing 0:00:46. So I believe it did kick off from 0:00:00.

Is the up-time accurate for you after you rebooted your phone?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Sorry, didn't get in last night, but that simply means that my phone should have an uptime now of 48 hours approx.

Checked it out and it said 50, which I thought was close, until I realised it was 50 minutes. So not that close.  :lol:

I have no idea how CCleaner keeps tabs on a phones uptime, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. At first I thought this very short and amazingly inaccurate display must be down to the fact that I run "Greenify". Once my phone goes to sleep Greenify hibernates any running third party apps (not system apps as I'm not rooted), and being hibernated may cause CCleaner to display this way out uptime.

But if this was the case CCleaner should only be displaying a couple of minutes uptime as I've only woken it up and used it once for a few moments during the last 24 hours.

So CCleaner must be accessing uptime data once it comes awake, but from where and how I have no idea as the display, as I mention above, is way out.

I'll point the devs to the info in this post and maybe they'll throw some light onto it.

In the meantime it would be interesting to know if any others with CCleaner Android have an accurate uptime display. If anyone adds a comment could they please state which Android version they're running. Thanks.

:)

• Moderators

4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) on a Galaxy S3 mini. 

Haven't got a clue what It is measuring.

What I have ruled out-

It's not time since boot.

It's not screen on time.

It's not CCleaner app active time.

Watching the display the seconds freeze and then speed through four or five at once.

Does it really matter?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@ jkmlee

According to the devs it's a known issue and is being looked at.

@ nukecad

Does it really matter?

It will to some and not to others. It is a feature and like any other I suppose it should work as expected.

Not much point it being there if it doesn't.

According to the devs it's a known issue and is being looked at.

Thanks for the update, DennisD. I remember this issue has been around for some time and I am a bit surprised that it hasn't been fixed yet. Perhaps it's priority is not very high...

It seems that there are multiple ways for apps to obtain the uptime. The Android API has a method that returns "milliseconds since boot, including time spent in sleep":

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/SystemClock.html#elapsedRealtime()

If CCleaner for Android is written in C, I think it can use the Linux system call sysinfo() to obtain the uptime:

struct sysinfo {
	long uptime;             /* Seconds since boot */
	unsigned long loads[3];  /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */
	unsigned long totalram;  /* Total usable main memory size */
	unsigned long freeram;   /* Available memory size */
	unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */
	unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */
	unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */
	unsigned long freeswap;  /* Swap space still available */
	unsigned short procs;    /* Number of current processes */
	unsigned long totalhigh; /* Total high memory size */
	unsigned long freehigh;  /* Available high memory size */